A true university education encompasses far more than the narrow, specialized study of a single discipline. Only through exploring the broad spectrum of liberal arts courses can students become truly learned.

The debate regarding whether education should produce specialists or generalists has come to the fore in recent years with the plethora of problems that are complex and interdisciplinary in nature. It may be warranted to delve further into the debate to understand the need for specialists and generalists.

To being, it should be recognized that professionals of several fields require core, intensive knowledge and training in the respective discipline. For example, the nature of medical or law practice needs thorough knowledge and training in the respective fields of study. Intensive and specialized training, rather than broad knowledge can also aid in furthering research and development in most natural sciences such as cell biology, medicine, geology and others.

Having notes this, it is also clear that interdisciplinary knowledge holds a special place in today’s diverse world. Several fields which are an amalgam of difference disciplines, such as environmental economics (environmental science and economics), environmental engineering, health economics and so on are gaining importance now. Most social sciences deal with complex issues which cannot be classified into watertight compartments; as a result, the solutions to such problems can be better thought of by those who have access to holistic education. For instance, it is necessary for environmental economists who design policies to tax pollution or price carbon dioxide to have knowledge about the physical characteristics of pollutants, greenhouse gases and the like. Several professions, such as journalism also require comprehensive knowledge of a broad range of topics of daily importance, ranging from political science to fine arts.

Exposure to a broad spectrum of courses, especially those from the liberal arts, can also broaden the horizons of individuals, and give them an opportunity to enhance their personality. Wisdom, social graces and an all-rounded personality can be better developed by delving into the myriad colours of liberal arts.

It may be concluded that although the world does need specialists, who may only have a modicum of knowledge in the liberal arts, to deal with specific issues, the importance of generalists cannot be undermined. In other words, specialists and generalists complement each other than being antagonists. We need businesspeople who can combine creativity with technical expertise to offer innovative products to the populace, as much as we need microbiologists to develop pathbreaking medication for erstwhile incurable diseases. And this can be made possible only by offering courses of interest to students, ranging from natural sciences, to social sciences and liberal arts.