A true university education encompasses far more than the narrow specialized study of a single discipline Only through exploring the broad spectrum of liberal arts courses can students become truly learned

A true university education encompasses far more than the narrow, specialized study of a single discipline. Only through exploring the broad spectrum of liberal arts courses can students become truly learned.

Education in its true sense does not mean knowing the facts related to the field and then applying them blindly in specified scenarios. It signifies true knowledge and in depth understanding of not just the field of study but also its related subjects. Hence I agree with the statement that in order to claim a proper university education the students should not restrict their studies to a narrow single discipline. They should have at least a smattering knowledge of the other courses especially in the liberal arts department.

In support of my view I would like to state that when one has an insular view about education they tend to get bogged down into the details without a grasp on the bigger picture. The tendency to know a lot and in specific detail of just one field leads to a fettered imagination and new ideas do not develop frequently. For the sake of a accelerated growth in any discipline there has to be a comprehensive understanding of not just the related fields but a wide spectrum of courses including the arts .Secondly learning about the history in scientific development and other subjects is important in the most technical of fields as this allows us to gain insight into the ways of thought of our ancestors and also prevents us from making the same mistakes they have made in the path of new discoveries. Thirdly we can never hope to have true and precise understanding of our field until we know the origin and development on it and also the other factors which have contributed for the subject to have reached its present stature. All disciplines have humble beginnings and to ignore those roots is not right.

The other important reason of advocating a comprehensive curriculum in universities is that the application of the new ideas or innovations in a certain topic cannot be assessed correctly by those of the same field. The applicability of the idea in a broad spectrum is what defines its true greatness and to get a perspective of how the ideas are useful in other disciplines one must have some if not extensive knowledge of many fields.

In conclusion I feel that it is essential that a student be provided with a extensive verity of subjects to study in their universities regardless of their field of study as only when one has knowledge in a range of subjects can they be called truly learned. This not only makes us receptive of new ideas, it also increases our appreciation to the existing ones.

You may check out the new GRE issue pattern:
http://www.testbig.com/question/gre-issue-essay-questions-new-gre-issue…