You are here"Unfortunately, in contemporary society, creating an appealing image has become more important than the reality or truth behind that image." - Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain

"Unfortunately, in contemporary society, creating an appealing image has become more important than the reality or truth behind that image." - Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain

Tim's picture

By Tim - Posted on 10 September 2013

"Unfortunately, in contemporary society, creating an appealing image has become more important than the reality or truth behind that image."
-
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

In a society where communication through social media has become a valuable skill, it is not remarkable that social profiles get a high social status. The internet however, does not see faces, but only written text, that can be thought about for days. In this way images can be created that not necessarily represent the person behind the computerscreen typing it. Because likes and followers are immediatly linked to fame and money, creating an appealing image has become more important than the reality or truth behind that image.

The first thing companies do when they receive a job application is google that persons name, look at his/her facebook, twitter, instagram and other social profiles. This has become a routine that replaces the first impression one can make by entering the room for a job interview. The person about to hire you already knows more about you than you could possibly think. If you wear tattoos, piercings or long hair as a man, you wouldn't be the first one who didn't get hired because of superficial prejudices about these, before you even get the chance to show them your true self. Therefore it is important you keep a positive image about yourself on the internet.

This of course implies that one should take all social profiles with a grain of salt. But it gives people the opportunity again to show you what they really are made of when you meet them face to face. In the end, one cannot disguise him/herself from who he/she really is. Therefore the creation of appealing images might not be so bad after all. This way we will always start a conversation with a positive feeling about that person, allowing us to make our own judgement.

Despite this own judging, one should not forget that the human mind is easily fooled and that right now it has become more of a quest to create the most appealing image, only deteriorating the situation. People want to appear more and more appealing to outclass their relatives and friends. This sometimes results in Facebook-wars and cyber-bullying. The internet has become a world on its own, and people can be bullied in real life, but be almighty in their cyber-world. A healthy mix of both worlds would be best for all of us, but the real world is where the interactions will need to happen eventually.

In sum, we can say that to a certain extent, creating appealing images has its good points, since it gives strangers the benefit of the doubt when you meet them, allowing you to form your own judgement. However, this social hyping is taking immense proportions which creates new, more severe problems our society will have to face. Therefore one should read every social profile with a little doubt, postponing judgement untill a meeting with that person in real life happens. If you agree with this opinion, please "like" this message.