Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student s field of study Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim In developing and supporting your position be sure t

Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Learning is a lifetime opportunity and students have to make the best use of their learning period. Even if a student decides to do a particular major, his course selection must include a variety of courses, other than those from his field of study. But, it is implied that, choosing a variety of courses outside his field, must not hinder his concentration on core subjects relevant to his field. Instead, a fair distribution of courses, both from his field and other fields, must be followed for each semester. It is the responsibility of the universities, to give the students freedom to select the elective courses of their choice. Consequently, this will contribute to a full-fledged learning in a university.

First of all, every field in this field is dependent on every other field. There is no single field, which can work on its own. For instance, computer science has few of its courses from electronics - which form the base for understanding computer architecture; for instance, basics of electronics and digital signal processing are prerequisite for a computer science major, to delve deep into the interior of computer architecture. Also, in the workplace, an IT professional cannot expect all of his peers to be from a computer science background; he has to collaborate with those from other fields like electronics, electrical engineering etc... Hence to have a basic understanding of other fields is required for guaranteed success in our chosen field.

Moreover, taking up courses outside ones field of study kindles one's interest in other fields. Additionally, it exposes a student to a variety of courses, from which a student can identify his field of interest. For instance, a computer science graduate can take up few courses from economics and management. Consequently, if he happens to be driven more towards this economics course, then he can decide to an MBA and become a successful businessman. Thus, course selection can go even to the extent of diverting one's career path, and assuring success in the chosen path. Only if a student is exposed to few courses outside his major, will he know the gamut of career oppurtunities from which he could branch out, after his graduation.

Furthermore, research is of utmost importance to the development of any university. A university which produces successful research scholars, is deemed in the academia as the best university. Living examples include those universities in the United States such as Carnegie Mellon, University of California-Berkeley etc... These U.S universities are special for a single cause - they allow the students to choose a variety of courses to complete his degree; there is no restriction on the type of courses to be chosen to complete a degree. Because of this freedom, students are able to devote more concentration to their fields of study. This ends up in fruitful results when researches are being conducted. Research in any field, requires a sound knowledge of the related fields too. For instance, a research scholar in artificial intelligence, might require some help from the mechanical engineering department, in order to validate the mechanical parameters and construction of the robot. The programming in robots is done by the computer science majors; but the ultimate working of the robot and its manufacturing, requires assistance from the fields of mechanical and electronics engineering. Thus, any research field, requires atleast little assistance, from the related fields. Hence, taking up courses outside one's field, will go a long way in researches to be conducted in the long run.

Taking up additional courses, has one another advantage: it enables a student to do part-time job; for instance, if an engineering graduate is damn interested in English literature, he can take up a course in English literature. Ultimately he can turn out to be an engineer cum story-writer. Thus, he has a possibility of always keeping him busy. Hence, additional courses, can even contribute to the increased earning potential of an individual.

Some may state that taking up courses outside one's field, deviates his attention. But, this is possible, only if the courses are very much unrelated to a chosen field and they are large in number. Courses, if taken outside one's major, must be limited in number and they must not be completely unrelated to one's major. They have to possess some motive of helping an individual, in reaching his desired goal. Also, the universities must be in a position, to provide experienced staff members, to handle these courses, kindling interest in the students. Except for these conditions, these additional courses, do not deviate a student from his chosen major.

Thus, choosing a multitude of courses, outside one's field of study offers various advantages like: flexibility in choosing the courses, chance for potential research, increased earning potential, second chance to divert one's career to a more relevant choice. While some may argue that these courses seem of no use to the student, the courses actually come in handy to a student in the long run. "Known is a drop; Unknown is an ocean" goes a saying. Hence, there is no limit to learning and learning continues throughout one's life. Thus, there is really no harm in choosing a variety of courses outside one's field of study.