The well being of a society is enhanced when many of its people question authority Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take In developing and su

The well-being of a society is enhanced when many of its people question authority.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

When humans started living in clusters, there was a need to address the needs of the people without encroaching of the rights of others. Hence, came in the idea of governing. The government changed in forms over the time, from heads of small tribal units to rulers to elected democracies. But, the underlying motive of forming any governing body was the same; well-being of society. To ensure the same, the entire society must participate and be watchful of the governing body by constant questioning and demanding for reforms.

Since the reason for any government body is welfare of the people, it is the people that should be in charge of who governs them. Therefore, the slogan for democracies is: of the people, by the people, for the people. Hence, it is the basic right of the people in any country to choose who will lead them. But, with every right, there comes a duty. It is the duty of the same people to question the authority chosen for all steps they take. For a better governing body, all people should participate, either directly or indirectly.

Power has the tendency to corrupt people. When Hitler was chosen by the Germans to govern them, he became the only person governing them. He abolished the system of government and no one questioned him for his ways. Although, in his example, he had a lot of supporters, yet the people who were against him ignored his policies long enough to let him concentrate that much power in his hands, that he would crush everyone who questioned him for years to come. This led to him forming policies that were against the welfare and interest of the masses.

Concentration of power in the hands of a few leads to monarchy, corruption and serving biased interests. To avoid the same, people should stay vigilant, and active in all policies that are made. They should be aware of the activities of the authority and should question the same when they feel cheated or confused. Wrong policies should be immediately reformed. In cases where the authority becomes monarchy, people should revolt the same people they chose.

Everyone is responsible for themselves. Hence, even after electing the people to govern them, it is still the responsibility of the people to ensure that the authority is doing what they are made for. Only vigilant people make a better country.