The best way to solve environmental problems caused by consumer-generated waste is for towns and cities to impose strict limits on the amount of trash they will accept from each household.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree

The best way to solve environmental problems caused by consumer-generated waste is for towns and cities to impose strict limits on the amount of trash they will accept from each household.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Consumer-generated waste has become an important environmental hazard adversely affecting various ecosystems. The problem becomes even more stark when one considers the increase of non bio-degradable wastes which persist in the environment for a very long time especially the e-waste. Imposing strict limits on the amount of trash they will accept from each household is one of the possible solutions to deal with the problem but not the best way. There can be situations where the solution can further complicate the problem.

Admittedly, consumer generated waste is major environmental problem that needs to be effectively dealt with. Placing strict limits on amount of trash that a city municipalities accept from each household does have the beneficial effect of putting pressure on the households to decrease the amount of waste they generate. This can also have advantages of reducing the workload of garbage pickers and improve their efficiency.

However, the strategy has some significant drawbacks if not carefully planned. There is need to back it up by creating significant civic consciousness on the need to reduce the generation of consumer waste and required social peer pressure should be there. In cases where these are not present people may simply dump the additional wastes on roads and other areas where there is free space. This can only complicate the situation as irregular waste disposal can create even greater trouble than increased wastes.

In addition to the solution of strict limits, there is need to back it up by even more robust solutions. Firstly, there is need to impose strict penalties based on the "Polluter Pays" principle. Those who generate more waste should pay more for regular disposal through municipal means and pay even more when they dispose them outside the formal system. Secondly, the major problem in the present era has been how to properly treat these wastes rather than the quantity of the waste generated. There is a need to encourage new technologies than the traditional landfill method or disposing e-wastes into seas. Thirdly, the the problem of consumer-wastes should be dealt with at the source of purchase itself as it generates more responsibility and promotes accountability on producers of consumer items. For example, a person purchasing a T.V should me made to pay advanced recycling fund at the time of purchase. This fund will be returned back when the consumer returns the T.V. after the usage. This has been found to be effective in European countries.

In conclusion, imposing strict limits on the amount of trash accepted from each household is only one of the solutions and not the best one. There is need to back it up by additional effort s as mentioned above. The overall motto should be 3R's viz. reduce, reuse and recycle of wastes.

The essay didn't ask for solutions.

read a sample:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-issue-task-essays/best-way-solve-environ…