Claim: Many problems of modern society cannot be solved by laws and the legal system.Reason: Laws cannot change what is in people's hearts or minds.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reas

Claim: Many problems of modern society cannot be solved by laws and the legal system.
Reason: Laws cannot change what is in people's hearts or minds.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reasons on which that claim is based.

An individual must be declared a criminal by the situation in which he tends to do the crime, and not only by the category of crime, is what I believe in. Laws and legal systems are made to prevent the crimes and to put a check of a person’s wrongdoing. But it cannot be always be useful and best measure to curtail the problems arising in the modern society.

Firstly, laws and legal systems are structured in such a way that, using a guideline, offenders are punished according to the crime. But the guidelines are very general and do not take specific factors into account. And the most essential of all is emotions and the person’s outlook. For example, a mature thirty six year man who just steals from houses and doesn’t want to think about doing anything else is considered as a thief, while a twelve year boy who steals food just because he is penurious and hungry is also claimed as thief according to the system. In the above example, the punishment given o the offenders is not that severe but also not that lenient. The punishment seems very harsh to the kid and can impact it negatively, while it is not so strong that the older one feels remorseful and he does continue to steal. Hence, the punishment turns to be a waste and it cannot change the inner morals of the thief.

Similarly, a very important problem that the modern society faces is that of terrorism. The terrorists are brainwashed and brought up in a way that they feel whatever they do in the name of religion like jihad is true. The general practice that law carries in cases of these terrorist, is that the torture and reprimand them to get the information out of these people. But such strong measures also cannot shake their belief or change their hearts. And the other thing that follows this is the public’s opinion about the treatment of such people. They believe that they should be eliminated rather than questioned. Hence, whoever the system may try to convince people about the righteousness of their way, people feel that the actions are in appropriate.

But, sometimes the laws are also proving to be better than the limited view with which majority of the people stand by. Their outlook may be narrow and that may not bring out an effective measure. Like suppose a boy is caught doing something wrong, the people may take very harsh measures and also beat up the boy in the heat of the moment. Whereas the situation will be well assessed by the officials and their will just in whatever will be the final call on the case.

Hence, it can be concluded that however may be the law and the practices of the system, the outcome will never help in changing what the people believe and follow. Measures must be taken by considering the will and sentiments of the people to eradicate the problems of the modern world.