Educational institutions should actively encourage their students to choose fields of study that will prepare them for lucrative careers.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supp

Educational institutions should actively encourage their students to choose fields of study that will prepare them for lucrative careers.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Choosing a field of study is a major question confronting students as they embark upon higher education. There is often dilemma about whether one should choose a course one is interested or passionate about or one which helps pursue a career with potential to earn more money. I think the students who should be given freedom to choose their field of choice rather than educational institutions actively encouraging them to choose a field of study with scope for lucrative career.

Firstly,choice based on the criterion of lucrative careers can lead to counterproductive results for student. Students generally have an interest in particular fields which they develop over a period of time. This is generally close to their aptitude.Educational institutions forcing them to chose different field, may result in students being disinterested in the subject finally leading to poor grades and consequent loss of confidence. They may then revert back to course of their choice but after significant waste of time. In some cases students somehow complete the course only to find themselves leading a dull and morose life working on something they do not like. Finally , this results in potential loss of productive student who could have performed will in field of his choice.

Secondly, by actively encouraging students to choose only fields with lucrative opportunities, the institutions would be depriving the society and country of diversity of knowledgeable student pool. Educational institutions may then only produce engineers and doctors, without any historians, artists or sociologists as they are generally less lucrative. The other fields will be unable to get enough talented students to progress in the longer term and in turn stagnate. No country or society can reach its zenith without contributions from various fields .Thus, such an predilection for lucrative careers is dangerous since students generally rely on the advice of educational institutions because of their expertise.

On the other hand it is important that universities advice students about apt courses for them based on their aptitude. This helps them further their interests in those fields and help develop productive resources for the society . However, the final choice should be left to students themselves as we have seen in numerous instances in history the attitude of aspirants does produce great results despite lack of sufficient aptitude.

In conclusion, choosing a field of study should be based on interest and aptitude of the candidate rather than the potential for lucrative career. Any active encouragement by the educational institutions for choosing the path based on lucrative career possibility can prove to be counterproductive in the long run not only for the student but also for the society.