Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free.

Formal education is designed as a tool to collectively educate a vast number of students together. It is not customised or personalised for each student and does not account for the small differences in people. But I disagree that formal education restrains our minds and spirits.

The education system contains a standard curriculum which is taught in a manner that doesn't invoke inquisitiveness. Most of the knowledge given in the curriculum is in the form of facts that cannot be questioned. The examinations then test for how much of the information was retained by the student. Conforming to the taught methods of problem solving are rewarded and finding innovative new methods to solve problems are discouraged. Thus we hear of teachers deducting marks for not solving the problem their way even if the solution was correct. By the end of their school education, students have a good knowledge of how to deal with standard examinations but not how to apply the information.

However this grim image seems limited to the schools and colleges seems an entirely different picture. In college a student is encouraged to take up courses that interest him. This remedies the problem of personalisation stated earlier. The professors that are well versed in the subject, allow more questions to be asked as they also have the capability to answer them to the very detail. I believe that courses in the arts have a much more liberating effect than technical courses. Literature specifically asks for the reader's own opinion and interpretation of the text.

Due to the large number of students, the education system cannot be designed to be customised for everyone by an external entity like a teacher. A person himself has to take the responsibility and make his own choices. A child cannot be reasonably expected to do that and that is why the curriculum in schools is standardised. Schools are also the time to build foundations in various subjects and therefore students are taught time tested practices and methods. To question these methods is supposed to come later in their life, in college. A young adult however has the ability to make the choices and therefore education that sets them free are chosen by themselves.

Thus formal education doesn't restrain our spirit. Eventually everyone who completes their education does develop the ability to think for themselves

Sentence: It is not customised or personalised for each student and does not account for the small differences in people.
Error: customised Suggestion: customized
Error: personalised Suggestion: personalized

Sentence: This remedies the problem of personalisation stated earlier.
Error: personalisation Suggestion: personalization

Sentence: Due to the large number of students, the education system cannot be designed to be customised for everyone by an external entity like a teacher.

Sentence: A child cannot be reasonably expected to do that and that is why the curriculum in schools is standardised.
Error: standardised Suggestion: standardized