Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.

Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

Although the above statement is true, the reason behind it is highly debatable. Preserving cultural traditions should not be the main reason behind providing financial support to the cities. Moreover, cities are not noted for preserving their cultural traditions. Rather, the smaller towns and villages are where traditions have been preserved over the centuries.

Throughout the ages, major cities have been regarded as the symbol of advancement of society as well as technology. But their cultural roots have been either forgotten or become distorted through the ages so as to adapt themselves to modernization. Therefore cities can never be regarded as staunch protectors of cultural traditions.

Take for example a city like Hong Kong. Established as an erstwhile British colony, the city is now an excellent example of capitalistic economy. Although majority of its residents are Chinese, the city bears little resemblance to major Chinese cities like Beijing, known for its cultural heritage. Hong Kong however has evolved into a major source of economic and financial power in the eastern hemisphere which is the main reason behind why it still enjoys financial support and solidarity from China, and not because of its prevalent cultural traditions.

There are still other cities which possess a strong cultural and historical background. But development of an advanced society, the cornerstone behind every major city has inflicted its toll on traditional beliefs and customs which has suffered immensely and has been driven to the point of extinction.

Culture, however is present, unblemished and in its purest form, in the remote towns and villages, places beyond the grasp of technology. It is in these places where the traditions of a country have been carefully preserved through generations and hopefully, will continue to be in the foreseeable future. Thus the government must provide enough resources to these villages and towns, so that they may continue to thrive.

Thus, in conclusion, it may be remarked that the criteria behind granting major cities financial support and funding should be judged from economic, technological and financial standpoints, and should not be based on its ability to preserve its culture and customs. On the other hand, small towns and villages should not be neglected and proper support must be must given to them so that cultural traditions and customs, unique to every nation, may continue to live on through them.