It is more harmful to compromise one's own beliefs than to adhere to them.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting

It is more harmful to compromise one's own beliefs than to adhere to them.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Belief can be classified as a characteristic state of mind and some people follow certain beliefs blindly and some of them give it a thought before following. It all depends on the individual, whether a person chooses to give beliefs the highest priority and go with the crowd or chooses to compromise and go ahead with the less traveled path. This is an indication to the statement given above. Hence I partially agree with the statement. It is not always true that it is more harmful to compromise on one's beliefs than to adhere to them.

One such example would be the existing generation gap between the elders and the younger generations. Let me narrate an incident which occurred a few days back in my household. One of my relatives married a guy who belongs to a lower caste than ours. The reason for this was the girl was facing certain health related problems and no one was ready to get married to her. In such situations we must appreciate the guy who came forward to marry her. But the elders had another view point. The belief that inter-caste marriages are a big no in our society still prevails in the elders and the girl is now not allowed to attend any ceremonies. I would like to mention here that, had the elders compromised on their beliefs rather than adhering to it, the girl could have been a part of the society and its proceedings and could have lived a normal life.

Many other superstitious beliefs like widows not being allowed to be a part of any auspicious occasion, a girl who is in the period of her menstrual cycle is not allowed to come out of a room for three days, female infanticides, dowry system in marriages. All these are still prevailing in many regions and are deterring the country's economy. Will it not be helpful if these beliefs are compromised than being adhered to? If the elders compromise on such beliefs, the world will become a more beautiful place to stay.

Nevertheless, there are certain beliefs which if compromised are more harmful. For example, inequality of women in the nation. There is definitely a change in today's world where women are now involved in every other field and are successful as well. And this is a result of not compromising to the ancient beliefs that women are only meant to look after the household chores and bring up the family. This is in a way correct but that i s not the only reason why women are born for. They have every right to be ambitious and successful. There are many regions in the nation where women abide by the policy that they are only good to be housewives and are not allowed to walk out of their houses. Such compromises by women should be extirpated and they must adhere to what they believe as their capability. This lies in the hands of the women to choose what is best for them.

Hence, it is important to make compromises in life about various beliefs but at the same time, adhering to certain beliefs that are widely accepted and are positive and advantageous as well will help in shaping a better future.