People today are too individualistic Instead of pursuing self centered separate goals people need to understand that satisfaction comes from working for the greater good of the family the Community or society as a whole

People today are too individualistic. Instead of pursuing self-centered, separate goals, people need to understand that satisfaction comes from working for the greater good of the family, the Community or society as a whole.

The author's first statement is blanket and seems to be true on its face, however, we will find number of people who are exception to this and are working for the greater cause. I agree with the author’s argument that instead of pursuing self centered, separate goals, people need to understand that satisfaction comes from working for the greater good of the family, the community, or the society as a whole. The joy of giving to others and touching several lives is immense and is incomparable to the joy one gets only from benefitting own self.

The great scientist Albert Einstein said "Only the life lived in service to others is worth living.” Man is a social animal and qualities of love, pity and empathy come naturally to him. We can see numerous social workers around us who are serving poor, needy and down-trodden. Also celebrities come forward for charity and donations because joy comes from sharing.

Maslow stated in his later years that even beyond self actualization, the top most in his pyramid of needs, is self-transcendence. He said the self only finds actualization in giving itself to some higher goal outside oneself, in altruism and spirituality. Here it is important to note that a man initially tries to cater to his own physiological needs of food, air, water and metabolic requirements only then he will be able to think beyond it and strive for love and belonging and esteem and the further self actualization. Thus, first of all we need to satisfy our individualistic needs in order to be able to think about others, however, some benevolent people have set examples that we can start working directly for self transcendence. Best example is provided by a professor in India, Mr. Sandeep Desai, who begs in trains for his school where he gives education to the poor. He exemplifies how we can serve to others even without owning riches.

It is fascinating to imagine how it will be if everybody decides to work for the greater cause of the society rather than catering only to individualistic needs. We will be giving to billions and receiving from billions of people rather than just one, nonetheless, it is important what we decide to work for. If an individual is passionate about coding he can work for making an application that can be beneficial to the society. If someone is interested in managing and administration he can decide to become a governor or a politician to serve the society. Only if we are passionate about what we do we can give our best. So, our goals should be meant for betterment of the greater mass, however, we should keep in our mind individualistic needs too.

What is the meaning of our life and our joys when others around us are not happy? Also what is the purpose of living when you are not yourself happy? Thus, the best way is to have our individualistic goals in line with the betterment of our family and society.