Home >> .

Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others believe that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.Writ

Pattern's picture

When it comes to choosing a field of study in college, people\'s views are typically ambivalent. Some contends that students should prioritize their talents and interests instead of job availability, whilst others suggest precisely the opposite. As far as I am concerned, student\'s talents and interests sould be top considerations, for it motivates the student to study harder, making them more likely to be outstanding.

Foremost, choosing a field they like or are adepted at gives students enthusiasm and more ability to study. Unlike primary schools and high schools, where every student is mandated to take the same courses, in colleges, students are encouraged to focus on different fields of study. This gives students the latitude to pursue their own dreams and goals, which is actually one of hallmarks of modern higher education. Argugably, if one is studying a field that he or she loves or is good at, the student would be more likely to be so avid for knowledge that he or she learns much faster and much more than other students. These students are also lucky, because they will never get bored. What is more, if they can find a job in that particular field, which is not a hard thing if they are more talented than others in that field, then they would be able to combine personal interests and career.

Secondly, it is difficult to predict which jobs will be most available several years or even decades later, making it risky for students to choose a field in college. Society is developing with remarkable speed, and the availability of jobs is jointly determined by myriad factors, and dramatic changes can happen within a relatively short period compared to the length of one\'s career. For instance, the demand for computer programmers were not as high as it is today merely ten years ago. Being a programmer was not lucrative at that time, neither. Nonetheless, software engineering and programming are among the most popular majors in universities nowadays. This example best illustrates how uncertain it can be to decide which jobs are available when students graduate from colleges.

However, the pressure to find a job should not be completely overlooked when students are choosing their field of study. Firstly, everyone needs to be economically independent after graduation from colleges, thus finding a stable, if not lucrative, job is highly expected. Secondly and more importantly, having a job provide people with an opportunity, or a platform, to achieve their dreams and to fulfill their personal values. Not were they given this essential condition to serve society, they would not be able to make the slightest contribution to the world as an individual at all.

Due to aforementioned ground, I firmly believe that students should choose their fields of study based on their own interests and talents, but they also need to make sure that they would not be out of job in the future. Both are important and should not be ignored.