You are hereEvery year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

Momo Cherry-Cherry's picture

By Momo Cherry-Cherry - Posted on 11 August 2013

There are 259 countries and more than 5000 languages in the world. However, the number of languages is decreasing because some of them have already disappeared and some of them are going to die out. Some people find this fact pretty normal, because with fewer languages life will be easier. To my way of thinking, the number of languages does not depend on life ease.

For the great majority of people, it will be easier to communicate with each other if there is small number of languages. For example, people might become friendlier, because the languages barrier would be knocked down. In addition to that, there will not be problem of misunderstanding between individuals from different countries. One should note here that with disappearing of some languages, country would save time and money spent on interpreters and paperwork related to it.

One should, nevertheless, consider the problem from another angle. First that needs to be said is that every language has its own history. As a result of disappearing one language, whole nation would perish, because language plays a vital and most important role in every culture. Furthermore, one should not forget how many oeuvres were written in dead languages. For instance, a lot of books and oeuvres were in Latin. Unfortunately, not everyone is able to read original of those books.

To my point of view, all of presented consequences are true enough. To sum up, I totally disagree that life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world, because every language is valuable and merit to be respected.