You are hereFew languages are increasingly spoken in different countries, while the usage of others is rapidly declining. Is this a positive or a negative development?

Few languages are increasingly spoken in different countries, while the usage of others is rapidly declining. Is this a positive or a negative development?

mrmo2610's picture

By mrmo2610 - Posted on 20 November 2013

The recent 50 years have witnessed the increasing prevalence of many languages across the globe. At the same time, others are on the brink of extinction. This essay will scrutinize closely both sides of this trend before reaching a conclusion.

To begin with, people in favour of the remarkable development of global languages claim that this tendency indeed brings about a great deal of benefits. This emerging trend actually stems from globalization as an inevitable result and greatly facilitates worldwide trade. For example, a firm based in Vietnam can easily do business with overseas partners by using English rather than Vietnamese. If there are no collective languages among different nations, misunderstanding will occur and in fact, numerous tiffs, tensions and even wars probably resulted from language barriers according to historical evidence.

However, opponents believe that the decline in the usage of some minor languages should not be overlooked. The conventional wisdom is that a language strongly represents cultural identities. The more several languages are internationally spoken, the more local inhabitants will give up their own language. Therefore, indigenous norms and legacies may be wiped out which is a loss to the human race. Consequently, it’s no use travelling since cultural homogeneity takes hold, severely affecting tourism industry, not to mention other related sectors. The global economy will eventually suffer.

To conclude, the dominance of several languages as well as the decreasing popularity of others come as both good and bad news for human beings. Nevertheless, the downside seems to pale in comparison with the upside and this problem deserves accordingly further attention to be mitigated