You are hereFew languages are increasingly spoken in different countries, while the usage of others is rapidly declining. Is this a positive or a negative development?

Few languages are increasingly spoken in different countries, while the usage of others is rapidly declining. Is this a positive or a negative development?

mrmo2610's picture

By mrmo2610 - Posted on 20 November 2013

The recent 50 years have witnessed the increasing prevalence of many languages across the globe. At the same time, others are on the brink of extinction. This essay will scrutinize closely both sides of this trend before reaching a conclusion.

To begin with, people in favour of the remarkable development of global languages claim that this tendency indeed brings about a great deal of benefits. This emerging trend actually stems from globalization as an inevitable result and greatly facilitates worldwide trade. For example, a firm based in Vietnam can easily do business with overseas partners by using English rather than Vietnamese. If there are no collective languages among different nations, misunderstanding will occur and in fact, numerous tiffs, tensions and even wars probably resulted from language barriers according to historical evidence.

However, opponents believe that the decline in the usage of some minor languages should not be overlooked. The conventional wisdom is that a language strongly represents cultural identities. The more several languages are internationally spoken, the more local inhabitants will give up their own language. Therefore, indigenous norms and legacies may be wiped out which is a loss to the human race. Consequently, it’s no use travelling since cultural homogeneity takes hold, severely affecting tourism industry, not to mention other related sectors. The global economy will eventually suffer.

To conclude, the dominance of several languages as well as the decreasing popularity of others come as both good and bad news for human beings. Nevertheless, the downside seems to pale in comparison with the upside and this problem deserves accordingly further attention to be mitigated

People naturally resist making changes in their lives. What kind of problems can this cause? What solutions can you suggest? Azizat
Television is dangerous because it destroys family life and any sense of community instead of visiting people talking with our family we just watch television .To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? manu sidhu
Many languages are disappearing every year. Is this bad for the world or is it helps unify the human race? (Model 2) sprigidts
The diagrams below show the development of the horse over a period of million years. fialka sticky icon
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishment for each type of crime. Others, however agree that the circumstances of an individual crime and the motivation for committing it should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment. acachan1 sticky icon
To what extent is use of animals in scientific research acceptable? sprigidts
Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to learn this. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. irfan.saputra
The diagram below shows changes of educational backgrounds of employees of a company in 1991, 1996 and 2000. Write a report for the company's general manager describing the information shown in the diagram. jason
Research is an essential part of completing assignments. Suggest some good places to obtain useful information. kas patel
Q...GRAPHCinema attentence Tessy James sticky icon

Write complaint letter to the airline manager regarding the behavior of one of staff members on your flight. In your letter- Give full details of your flight.- Say what the problem with the staff member was.- What would you like the manager to do regardin marzieh IELTS
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5 IELTS
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.Write about the following topic:Most developed countries spend a large proportion of their health budgets on expensive medical technology and procedures. This money should be spent instead on health education drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? muhammadrezkihr IELTS Writing Task II
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh IELTS
Whoever controls the media also controls opinions and attitudes of the people and there is little can be done to rectify this. SammyG IELTS
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views ridaakzar IELTS
Some say that it would be better if the majority of employees worked from home instead of travelling to a workplace every day.Do you think the advantages of working from home outweigh the disadvantages? fialka IELTS
The two maps below show an island, before and after construction of some tourist facilities.Summarise the information by selectiong and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
In recent years, people watch more movies from overseas? What are the reasons for this? Should the government give financial support to local cinema to produce local films? Mubariz IELTS

Nowadays companies and other organisations are requiring their employees to wear a uniform. Think about jobs where uniform is important. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a uniform? Justin sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Topic: Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behavior. Other disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences.Discuss both views and give your own opinion.( Sample_answer_salmon) lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Do the dangers derived from the use of chemicals in food production and preservation outweigh the advantages? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowladge. drjowelynt IELTS Writing Task II
Many people believe that the main aim for university education is to help graduates to find better job, while some people believe that university education has wider benefit individual and society. discuss both views and give your opinion. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more and more important.This trend is seriously damaging our quality of life. eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishm lrana32 IELTS Writing Task II
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective? divyaece0903@gm... IELTS Writing Task II
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. agienugroho91 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
Is freedom of speech necessary in a free society? eddysuaib IELTS Writing Task II
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, It is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.Discuss both these views xizon7777 IELTS Writing Task II

Some people think that professional athletes make good role models for young people, while others believe they don’t.Discuss both these points of views and give your own opinion.Write at least 250 words. eddysuaib sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Some people think secondary students should study international news as a school subject, but others suggest that it is a waste of students' valuable school time. Discuss both and give your opinion. Hao sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
Nowadays movies and computer games containing violence are very popular. Some people believe that they have negative effect on the society and should be banned, others, however, believe that it is harmless entertainment. Discuss both vies and give your ow lambda sticky icon IELTS Writing Task II
The table below gives information on consumer spending on different items in five different countries in 2002. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. xizon7777 sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I
The graph below shows the changes in food consumption by Chinese people between 1985 and 2010.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. drjowelynt sticky icon IELTS Writing Task I