Essay topics: Few languages are increasingly spoken in different countries, while the usage of others is rapidly declining. Is this a positive or a negative development?
The recent 50 years have witnessed the increasing prevalence of many languages across the globe. At the same time, others are on the brink of extinction. This essay will scrutinize closely both sides of this trend before reaching a conclusion.
To begin with, people in favour of the remarkable development of global languages claim that this tendency indeed brings about a great deal of benefits. This emerging trend actually stems from globalization as an inevitable result and greatly facilitates worldwide trade. For example, a firm based in Vietnam can easily do business with overseas partners by using English rather than Vietnamese. If there are no collective languages among different nations, misunderstanding will occur and in fact, numerous tiffs, tensions and even wars probably resulted from language barriers according to historical evidence.
However, opponents believe that the decline in the usage of some minor languages should not be overlooked. The conventional wisdom is that a language strongly represents cultural identities. The more several languages are internationally spoken, the more local inhabitants will give up their own language. Therefore, indigenous norms and legacies may be wiped out which is a loss to the human race. Consequently, it’s no use travelling since cultural homogeneity takes hold, severely affecting tourism industry, not to mention other related sectors. The global economy will eventually suffer.
To conclude, the dominance of several languages as well as the decreasing popularity of others come as both good and bad news for human beings. Nevertheless, the downside seems to pale in comparison with the upside and this problem deserves accordingly further attention to be mitigated
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|3 months 2 weeks ago||sherin rijo||56||Read full essay|
|11 months 2 weeks ago||sherin rijo||26||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 month ago||mathayi1||73||Read full essay|
|1 year 2 months ago||sherin rijo||66.5||Read full essay|
|2 years 9 months ago||bwosti||70||Read full essay|
|2 years 9 months ago||bwosti||52.5||Read full essay|
|2 years 9 months ago||bwosti||60||Read full essay|
- It is better for college students to live in schools than live at home with their parents.Do you agree or disagree? (94.66670000000001)
- Some people believe that academic subjects such as chemistry, physics and history should be taught in schools, while others believe that students will derive more benefit from studying practical subjects, such as motor mechanics and cooking. Discuss both (90)
- The graph below shows the consumption of three spreads from 1981 to 2007.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. (80)
- The bar chart below shows the percentage of students who passed their high school competency exams, by subject and gender, during the period 2010-2011.*includes French, German and Spanish (90)
- In some countries, governments are encouraging industries and businesses to move out of the cities and into regional areas. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? (56.6667)
- In many parts of the world, children and teenagers are committing more crimes. Why is this happening? How should they by punished? (75)
- The graph below gives information about international tourist arrivals in different parts of the world. (50)
- Modern technology allows machines to perform the hard work instead of humans. Does this have a positive or a negative effect on people? Give your own opinion and examples. (80)
- When a country develops its technology, the traditional skills and ways of life die out. It is pointless to try and keep them alive. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? (75)
- Few languages are increasingly spoken in different countries, while the usage of others is rapidly declining. Is this a positive or a negative development? (73.8462)