The first car appeared on British roads in 1888 By the year 2000 there may be as many as 29 million vehicles on British roads Alternative forms of transport should be encouraged and international laws introduced to control car ownership and use To what ex

The first car appeared on British roads in 1888. By the year 2000 there may be as many as 29 million vehicles on British roads. Alternative forms of transport should be encouraged and international laws introduced to control car ownership and use.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays, when the car has become a completely inevitable part of our daily routine, it seem impossible to live without this personal mean of transport. Moreover, it is predicted that about 29 million cars are going to be in use on British roads by the year 2000. Consequently, some questions have been raised whether any international regulations should be established in order to encourage some alternative forms of transport and control car owners and users. However I do not support this point of view.

Firstly, any form of regulation that may be in conflict with the fundamental law to posses and to decide about private belongings is in my opinion extremely destructive. Every economic growth is based on the decisions of free entrepreneurs and any intervention in such a basic factor as communication might turn out to be the beginning of a severe stagnation.

Secondly, we undoubtedly live in an extremely rapidly growing world. The new ideas and technologies appear on a daily basis – as a result the science is making an enormous progress as well. We may not be aware of it as it is obvious for us, but I genuinely believe, that the usage of a personal, private car is absolutely crucial when it comes to all the mentioned benefits.

Finally, some may claim that the result of such a rapid growth of cars popularity will lead to a global pollution on an enormous scale. Nevertheless, I believe that if the consequences of excessive car usage were so crucial, the prices of both – vehicles and oil would rise immediately. As a result fewer people would be able to use them and the number of vehicles would lower.

Concluding, I completely disagree with a statement that alternative forms of transport should be encouraged by introducing any international regulations restricting car ownership and use. The problem of pollution and excessive use of those vehicles does not seem to be as essential as the matters of personal freedom.