You are hereThe following pie charts show the results of a survey into the most popular leisure activities in the United States of America in 1999 and 2009.Summaries the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The following pie charts show the results of a survey into the most popular leisure activities in the United States of America in 1999 and 2009.Summaries the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

Tessy James's picture

By Tessy James - Posted on 08 February 2013

The following pie charts show the results of a survey into the most popular leisure activities in the United States of America in 1999 and 2009.
Summaries the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The given two pie charts compares the popularity of leisure activities during the year 1999 and 2009 in America.

In 1999 there was very negligible difference between the percentage of yoga, jogging, camping and swimming. All shows below 10% popularity. The most popular leisure activity was walking which was 29% in the year 1999, increased to 31% after a decade.

The importance of aerobic exercises are decreased to one third after 10 years. In 1999 it was 13% reached to 4% in 2009. Soccer remained the same level roughly after the given period. Bicycle use as leisure activity fall from 12% in 1999 to 7% in 2009. Swimming became the favorable leisure activity and it doubled.

In short, in 2009, jogging dropped to half in 2009 and remained as the least popular free time activity. Yoga is replaced by weight lifting. Walking gained more importance. Soccer and swimming became second popular leisure activity.

Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when decline on the punishme nikilos
Some people believe that hobbies need to be difficult to be enjoyable.To what extent do you agree or disagree? cieljessy
Some parents control their children from a very young age and others give freedom to their children. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both approaches? Give your own opinion. marzieh
The exploration and development of safe alternatives to fossil fuels should be the most important global priority today.To what extent do you agree or disagree? MisterWandering sticky icon
Sample IELTS speaking: preferences (weekends and outings) essayking
Modern forms of communication such as email and messaging having reduced the amount of time people spend seeing their friends. This has had a negative effect on their social lives. That what extent do you agree or disagree? affan baskra
Global warming is one of the most serious issues that the world is facing today.What are the causes of global warming and what measures can governments and individuals take to tackle the issue? habiba
Some people believe that theoretical subjects should not be taught in universities because most student prefer to study practical subjects. Agree or disagree. kryztn30
Some say that because many people are living much longer, the age at which people retire from work should be raised considerably. To what extend do you agree or disagree? Dilbar
Should wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations by providing such things as food and education? Or is it the responsibility of the governments of poorer nations to look after their citizens themselves? adventurer

Should arts-related entertainment venues such as museums and art galleries be free of charge for the general public, or should a charge apply for admittance? kohbarfi
The pie graphs below show the results of a survey of children's activities. The first graph shows the cultural and leisure activities that boys participate in, whereas the second graph shows the activities in which girls participate. eddysuaib
The gap between the rich and the poor is becoming wider, the rich more richer, the poor even more poorer. What problems can the situation cause and give solutions? Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh
Some people believe that technological tools such as body scanner and CCTV have significantly enhanced our safety and security, while others feel that they have resulted In a loss of privacy.Do the benefits of these items outweigh their disadvantages? Justin sticky icon
some people think that strict punishments for driving offences are the key to reducing traffic accidents.others,however,believe that other measures would be more effective in improving road safety. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion gincysusan
The table and the bar chart below give information about traveling to work in Houston, Texas.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. eddysuaib
This is a bar graph of the average age at first marriage of both men and women in the U.S. The red bar stands for women, and the blue bar stands for men. Write a report for a university lecturer conveying the information in the graph. jason
Nowadays an increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life. Is this a positive or a negative development? Justin sticky icon
Economic progress is one factor that is being considered to measure the success of a country,but there are other factors that should be considered when measuring the success of a country. Do you agree or disagree? What other factors do you think should be Justin sticky icon

An increasing number of people change their career and place of residence several times during their life time. Is this a positive or negative development. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people agree that teachers should be strict with their students; others believe that teachers with friendly approach will achieve better results. Discuss and give your opinion. Justin sticky icon
These days, in many countries fewer and fewer people want to become teachers, particularly in secondary schools. What are the reasons for this, and how could the problem be solved? uzboy sticky icon
Under British and Australian laws a jury in a criminal case has no access to information about the defendant's past criminal record. This protects the person who is being accused of the crime.Some lawyers have suggested that this practice should be change Shokh sticky icon
Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you.• When and where you used the taxi• Describe a problem you have faced• What do you expect the manager to do? swapnay sticky icon
The table below shows the consumer durables( telephone,refrigerator, etc,) owned in Britain from 1972 to 1983.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below. carmela6 sticky icon
The graph and bar chart below show the average monthly rainfall and temperature for one region of East Africa. Rafael
The chart below shows the amount of leisure time enjoyed by men and women of different employment status carmela6
Overpopulation Farkhad

"Prevention is better than cure."Out of country's health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventive measures. carmela6 sticky icon
Do you thin business should hire employees who will spend thier entire lives working for the company? Explain why you agree or disagree. the beauty of E... sticky icon
The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. shi24 sticky icon
Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to learn this? Discuss both these views and give your opinion? satyakrishna23 sticky icon