You are hereThe following pie charts show the results of a survey into the most popular leisure activities in the United States of America in 1999 and 2009.Summaries the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The following pie charts show the results of a survey into the most popular leisure activities in the United States of America in 1999 and 2009.Summaries the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

Tessy James's picture

By Tessy James - Posted on 08 February 2013

The following pie charts show the results of a survey into the most popular leisure activities in the United States of America in 1999 and 2009.
Summaries the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The given two pie charts compares the popularity of leisure activities during the year 1999 and 2009 in America.

In 1999 there was very negligible difference between the percentage of yoga, jogging, camping and swimming. All shows below 10% popularity. The most popular leisure activity was walking which was 29% in the year 1999, increased to 31% after a decade.

The importance of aerobic exercises are decreased to one third after 10 years. In 1999 it was 13% reached to 4% in 2009. Soccer remained the same level roughly after the given period. Bicycle use as leisure activity fall from 12% in 1999 to 7% in 2009. Swimming became the favorable leisure activity and it doubled.

In short, in 2009, jogging dropped to half in 2009 and remained as the least popular free time activity. Yoga is replaced by weight lifting. Walking gained more importance. Soccer and swimming became second popular leisure activity.

apastyRag Ethiopia

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

It is a natural process of animal species to become extinct (e.g. dinosaurs, dodos etc). There is no reason why people should try to stop happening this. Do you agree or disagree. raghavielts sticky icon
Ielts essay reshade
*rewrite*Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behaviour. Others disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences.Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. Peng Min
You are a student at an English language school in Brighton and are living in private accommodation with other flat mates. You have not had hot water or heating for some time. The landlord’s workmen have tried to fix the problem but without success.Write marzieh
Nowadays the way many people interact with each other has changed because of technology.In what ways technology has affected the types of relationships people make?Has this become a positive or negative development (228) Nilam
When a country develops its technology,its traditional ways of life and skills die out.It is pointless to keep them alive? Do you agree or disagree with it? harjinder singh
children and leisure activities DOLLY
Some people think that teenagers should focus on all school subjects while others believe they should just concentrate on the subjects that they are better at or they find the most interesting. what is your opinion? Domilina
The cheart below shows information about the changes in average house prices in five different cites between 1990 and 2002 compared with the average house prices in 1989.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make compa Elaine 10 sticky icon
Zoos are sometimes seen as necessary but not poor alternatives to a natural environment . Discuss some of the argument for and/or against keeping animals in zoos. rahil

Blood sports have become a hot topic for debate in recent years. As society develops it is increasingly seen as an uncivilized activity and cruel to the helpless animals that are killed. All blood sports should be banned. Discuss the main arguments for th falks405
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. marzieh
Argumentative Essay: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the Internet alfitrah8.5
The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer. mikrarlagowa
Creative artists should always be given freedom to express their own ideas (in words, picture, music, film) in whichever way they wish. There should be no government restrictions on what they do.To what extend do you agree or disagree with this statement? D O N
International community must act immediately to ensure all nations to reduce their consumption of fossil fuels e.g gas and oil. To what extent do you agree or disagree Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Economic growth helps to improve the standard of living. However, some researches show that people in developing countries are happy with this trend, whilest people in developed countries are not happy about it. Explain why do you think about it? Tessy James
Some people choose to eat no meat or fish. They believe that this is not only better for their own health but also benefits the world as a whole. Discuss this view and give your own opinion. ligitukas
Increasing ground traffic is creating serious problems and challenges in life. Some suggest that shifting most of the traffic to air would be the best solution.Do you agree or disagree with it? harjinder singh sticky icon
Sample IELTS speaking: family (married person) essayking

Some people believe that success in life depends on hard work and determination, while others believe that other factors like money and personal appearance are important. Discuss both views and give your opinion. Lê Kim Kiều Anh
What are the advantages and disadvantages for children of watching television? Discuss both sides. uzboy
People nowadays live longer than they used to. What caused this situation? Is it a negative or positive development? Justin sticky icon
The chart below shows the total number of minutes of telephone calls in the UK, divided into three categories, from 1995-2002. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Children's education is expensive. In some countries, the government pays some of or all of the costs. Do the advantages outweigh its disadvantages? Lê Kim Kiều Anh
In many countries schools have sever problems with student behaviour. What do you think? What solutions can you suggest? Justin
Nowadays, some people tend to take temporary jobs, for they have the time to do other things. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? Seasky
Some people think saving money is good, but others think that spending money is a better way to enjoy life. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. gainer04 sticky icon
The graph and table give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. luckysun sticky icon

The diagram below shows career paths in the travel industry. Write a report. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Should wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations by providing such things as food and education? Or is it the responsibility of the governments of poorer nations to look after their citizens themselves? carmela6 sticky icon
In many countries schools have sever problems with student behaviour. What do you think are the causes and What solutions can you suggest? Justin sticky icon
Discuss the advantages and disadvantage of giving aid to poor countries. skeet sticky icon
Many people believe that media coverage of celebrities is having a negative effect on children.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? Shokh sticky icon