In many countries the proportion of older people is steadily increasing Does this trend have more positive or negative effects on the society

In many countries, the proportion of older people is steadily increasing. Does this trend have more positive or negative effects on the society?

With advances in technology and medicine people today tend to live much longer lives. As the proportion of older people steadily increased, there has been an ongoing debate about whether this has resulted in more positive or negative effects for society. Both arguments will be discussed in this essay alongside appropriate examples and a conclusion.

When a person reaches an age where they are no longer able to support their own living, the government intervenes to provide financial assistance. This assistance comes in the form of welfare payments, which are collected from tax payers. An increasing number of older people will mean more tax must be collected in order to support . For example, if the number of elderly people doubles in a year, a tax payer who currently pays $10,000 per year might have to pay $20,000 in the following year to support the welfare of this older population. This is a negative trend as more young people will thus become liable for the living expenses of an increasingly aging population.

At the same time, however, it must also be acknowledged that elders are valuable assets to society, capable of imparting important values such as wisdom and knowledge. The younger generations are often lacking these values as they usually come as a result of many years of experience. An example of this can be commonly found when a troubled youth seeks advice from someone much older than them. Therefore, older people can have significant positive effects on the society and individuals.

In conclusion, the benefits the elderly population provide far outweigh the drawbacks. Moreover, it must be remembered that eventually everyone becomes older and will get the same compensation under the existing system. Therefore, this trend should be viewed as more positive to society.