You are hereIn order to solve traffic problems, governments should tax private car owners heavily and use the money to improve public transportation. What are advantages of such a solution?

In order to solve traffic problems, governments should tax private car owners heavily and use the money to improve public transportation. What are advantages of such a solution?

Ngọc Trang's picture

By Ngọc Trang - Posted on 24 August 2013

It is an indisputable fact that taxing private car owners heavily and using the money to improve public transportation solve traffic problems effectively. But like everything else, there are undoubtedly two sides to this issue. This solution can reduce traffic jam, but that makes many people have to give up the dream having a car for travelling, and this essay aims to highlight both.

For starters, one positive outcome of this is that reduce traffic congesion problems. Predictably, when goverments tax private car owners heavily, the number of car used to travel will fall down. Therefore, there are fewer cars used for tralling, others smaller vehicle will be circulated easier because space for a car is large double space for a motorbike. In addition, the government can have more money because of taxing to repair and build transport works, such as traffic light, road system, etc. The traffic system becomes better and the problem of traffic will be less serious.

Regardless of these advantages, one negative outcome that needs to be addresses is that the dream having a car is difficult to become true. The government taxing private car owners heavily means that the price of car go up. In Viet Nam, because of taxing private car owners, to have a new car, people have to pay double, even triple the price of same car saled in USA. In fact, just the rich who have income higher 50 million per month can afford to buy a car.

I would like to conclude by saying then that society needs to be aware of both posivetive and negative consequences before any action that can alter the status will be taken.