In the past, most people lived in small villages where everyone knew everyone else. Nowadays, most people live in large cities where they only know a few people in their area. What do you think were the advantages and disadvantages of living in a small co

In the past, most people lived in small villages where everyone knew everyone else. Nowadays, most people live in large cities where they only know a few people in their area.

What do you think were the advantages and disadvantages of living in a small community?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge and experience.

Until recently, the majority of people lived in the village where they were born. However, now people tend to live in large cities and, as a result, the way people live has changed.

There were a number of benefits to living in a small village. Firstly, everyone knew everyone else and, in the village my grandparents came from, everyone spoke to everyone else, so no one ever felt lonely. Secondly, there was always someone to look after the children and to teach them good behavior, so children grew up being polite and respectful. Also, they could play safely in the street and there was little crime. It was a quiet life which everyone understood.

However, there were a number of disadvantages. The nearest primary school was in the next village and the nearest secondary school in a town some miles away. This meant that most children did not get a good education and most people had to work in agriculture. If young people were ambitious, they had to move away from the village and few people had the chance to do this. Also, when someone was ill, it was a long way to the nearest hospital.

All in all, I think people from my grandparents’ generation were happier. However, in the modern world, with all the possibilities which exist today, I think it is a pity to be limited to a small village. Nowadays, there are more advantages to living in a large city.

Minimum 250 words wanted.