Reducing global environmental damage should be handled by governments rather than individuals To what extent do you agree or disagree

Reducing global environmental damage should be handled by governments rather than individuals. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

There has been a dramatic increase in environmental pollution over the past few decades. With the advent of industrialization and mega scale development activities this phenomenon has become more significant. Thus, some people are of the view that mitigation of such burning issue is a responsibility of government and the role of individuals in this regard is insignificant. In my opinion, the contribution of both governments and individuals are equally important to alleviate environmental damage and obtain sustainable socio-economic development.

On the one hand, environmental pollution has been accelerated by large scale development programs and ever-increasing manufacturing process. Deforestation, emission of harmful gases and contamination of water resources and soil with chemicals are few examples of detrimental effects of such activities. Obviously, governments have much control over these activities than individuals. In fact, governments have legitimate power to implement stringent rules and regulation to impose authorities of such program to conduct their activities in environmental friendly manner.

On the other hand, collective efforts of individuals are also considerable in mitigating environmental issues. For instance, if one person makes a genuine effort to the use biodegradable bags instead of polythene ones they can contribute substantially for the reduction of environmental damage. Disposal of kitchen waste product in a correct manner, use of natural resources on a sustainable basis, protection of flora and fauna and raising of awareness of children about the importance of conservation of the environment are few of proactive measures that can be taken as individuals to protect their surrounding.

Obviously, it is an immense responsibility of both individuals and governments to play a decisive role to protect the environment not only for people living now but for our posterity

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/ielts