In some countries young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this

Finishing high school is a milestone for every student. Students feel proud to finish the first phase in their careers' and each treats his/her success in that phase in a different manner. Some young people take a one year break between their finishing high school and starting university studies while some prefer to indulge directly into university studies. The trend nowadays is to take a one year break.

On one hand, taking a one year break can prove to be of a great advantage. During that period, one may travel throughout the world and meet many different people and explore a diverse variety of cultures. Such experience is an eye opening experience, because one would be culturally rich and that would eventually reflect in one's character and personality where he/she would be open and accepting to others.

On the other hand, the one year break can actually make him/her fall behind others. The world is evolving at a fast pace and life as we know it is changing; hence one must keep up to the rate of change and perhaps even get ahead of that change and evolution. Interestingly, recent studies have shown that the working or travelling for one year before university had a major impact of the number of enrolled students at universities because after finding a stable job, they enjoy low risk and low effort life style.

In my opinion one has time after university to make travel plans and work. It is crucial to effectively manage one's time and energy to preserve a better future. Eventually, each person has his/her own opinion and only they will bear the consequences.