You are hereTo what extent is the use of animals in scientific research acceptable?

To what extent is the use of animals in scientific research acceptable?

jesy's picture

By jesy - Posted on 20 September 2013

Scientists often use animals as experiment media in their scientific research. I believe, although research ethic codes state the use of human is unexcused, use of animal is still unreasonable and unacceptable based on animals’ right.

In pharmacy industry, it is common to use animals as experiment media. Scientists have to ensure that new drug which they discovered is safe to consume for people. Animals are regarded as perfect experiment object because they have similar reaction as human. Another reason of using animals as research object is also based on research ethic code that prohibits scientists to use human for experiment.

Although there are many reasons to use animal as research object, I disagree for two reasons. First,genetically, primates are ideal animals that could be used for testing new drug, but rare population of primates causes scientists to use alternative animals in their research such as mice,rabbits and so on. Actually, mice and rabbits have different genetic structure which can cause bias in experiment result. This bias causes invalidity safety of tested new drug for human.

Second, using animal as experiment object also hurts animal’s physically most of them must be injected more than ten times a day. Moreover, sometimes drug reaction causes them to suffer and die slowly. According to animal lovers’ association report, more than 100 mice sacrificed to discover one drug, some of them have genetic mutation and the others die tragically.

In conclusion, in some cases, using animals in scientific research gives benefit in science development, but occasionally, in fact, using animals is unnecessary process and can cause them hurt. Government should create regulation about using animal in experiment, for protecting animals from infraction of animals’ right.