As the world becomes more technologically advanced, computers are replacing more and more jobs. Describe some job positions that may be lost because of computers, and discuss at least one problem that may result.

Computers are among our most recent inventions. Yet, a few decades ago, it would have been hard to believe that these mammoth-size machines with restricted functions and speed of operation would one day usurp a plethora of manufacturing workers. The service sector is suffering the same fate with the introduction of self-service checkouts in supermarkets and petrol stations. I believe that other service related jobs in the likes of teachers and taxi drivers will not be spared by the technological advance.

First of all, teachers are already feeling the heat of completion as evidenced by the surging popularity of e-learning and online tests. Moreover, the internet is luring more and more youngsters as educational websites with advanced interactive functions spring up. As such, in the future, it can be expected that robots will be explaining complex theories to students. However, the disappearance of teachers will also deprive students of role models and advisors who are at the core of their moral and social development.

Furthermore, during the recent years, technological showrooms have been extolling the virtues of automatic vehicles. Despite the fact that they have not yet reached the desired level of sophistication and safety to be commercialized, they may one day make the position of taxi driver redundant. Unlike the latter, these cars will be able to operate 24/7 and boost the safety of passengers by deterring thieves. Nevertheless, some people argue that machines are unable to handle ethical decisions in the same manner as humans. For instance, how does a car choose between saving its occupants and passers-by in the event of an accident?

To summarize, as computers inch their way through other sectors of our economy, we will definitely be blessed with higher productivity and efficiency. Nonetheless, this will come at the cost of the highly desired human touch and personalized services.