IELTS SPEAKING TEST - Model Answers 4. Keywords: Pets, Favorite Animals, Wildlife, Faunas, Endangered Species.

Speaking topics in text

PART 1
Let’s talk about pets
1. Do you have any pets?
I once had kittens, it’s a domestic cat in my neighbourhood, but when she grow up I can’t find her anywhere. Right now, I only have a few fish in my aquarium.

2. Do you like animals?
Of course, all faunas are beautiful in their own way. Even a sea creature in the deepest ocean, I love them all.

3. What pet would you get if you could choose any?
I wish I could adopt a Persian kitten since I’m a cat person. They are adorable

4. How does the rest of your family feel about pets?
My mother saw a cat nothing but trouble because sometimes they can be very naughty. Their fur is everywhere, litter everywhere, it's a lot of effort.

5. Have you ever had a bad experience with an animal?
I had bitten by a stray dog when I was a kid. So I'm a bit scared of dogs ever since.

Now let’s talk about food.
6. What’s your favourite food?
My favourite food is one of Indonesian cuisine, it’s Rendang. And I believe that most of Indonesian love it as much as I do.

7. Do you eat at restaurants often?
Not often. Sometimes when I and my family bored at home, we find the closest restaurant.

8. Do you eat a lot of fast food?
Not really, no. Fast food did not taste delicious. I only come to fast food chain when I and my friend don’t know where else to go.

9. Do you like food from other countries?
Of course, I like Italian food. From appetizer like onion ring, and then their main course like pizza margarita with pepperoni and cheese, and finally gelato ice cream in vanilla flavours.

10. What sorts of food do you and your friends eat when you go out together?
Usually when we don’t know what to eat we just get some street food. We don’t have a specific appetite, and we just want to have fun together.

PART 2
Describe your favourite animal

•I’m glad this cue card came up since I have a lot to talk about my favourite animal, Pandas. Giant pandas have a distinctive appearance. Their thick black and white fur equips them for life. Their white coat with black markings is unique, with black patches around the eyes and ears, black legs, and a black band around the shoulders, and they have cute white tails.
•Giant pandas live in a few mountain ranges in central China, in a cool forest of bamboo to be more precise. Even the panda are a herbivore, they have a digest system like a carnivore.
•When you visit a zoo you will likely find that the pandas are sleeping. Actually it spends half its day eating and the other half sleeping. You may see them lying flat, on one side, on their stomach, forelegs stretched out or huddled up. While they are sleeping, they still look very cute. They are not an aggressive animal, sometimes when Panda angry, but it only stare at their enemy.

PART 3
1. Do you think being cruel to an animal is the same as being cruel to a human?
I can understand if a human being cruel to another human, but if they being cruel to an animal, I cannot tolerate that. An animal can’t defend itself, so when human harm animal, we can see that they got scared.
•Research from WWF about animal protection reveals that animal cruelty to the wild animal is increased by 20% in 2013. It includes animal for circus and violence to domestic pet, usually people neglect their dog until starving.
•In addition, I remember a few months ago there is a Bengal tiger strangled with chain by the zookeeper in Surabaya National Zoo, and the story is shared all over the world.

2. Should people be allowed to hunt animals for their own entertainment?
Depends on what animal. Some exotic animal are hunted for their skin, like tiger / lion, because it’s expensive, and they put their skin in the living room as a trophy.
•Although, there is some tradition like boar hunting and they usually use a dog to catch them. Wild boar / hog hunting are still popular in Indonesia and after they catch them, they eat that boar. It’s a tradition, I cannot judge for that situation.

3. How can we help protect endangered species of animals?
I think there are many ways to protect endangered animals. Perhaps the greatest threat that faces many species is the widespread destruction of habitat. The best way to protect endangered species is by protecting their habitat and environment.
•In Indonesia, we have conservation for flora and fauna area like Ujung Kulon to protect rhino and conservation in Borneo to protect orang-utans.
•Sometimes we can see souvenirs are made from species nearing extinction, crocodile skin for a purse in one of the examples.
•We can also support the government to eradicate animal black market and illegal hunters.

4. What sorts of human activities make it more difficult for wild animals to survive?
Destroying the natural environment of wild animals is a key way that we make it more difficult for them to survive. First, Illegal logging in Borneo makes Orang-utans almost extinct. Second, sea bombing to catch plenty of fish but what they don’t realize that they also destroy coral, their habitat.
•And I’m sure we all have heard global warming effect to Antarctica, it because carbon emissions from human activities, sometimes we don’t realise that, but that’s also the reason why polar bear almost extinct.

5. Is it fair to make pets out of wild animals?
That’s not fair to capture and tame wild animals / exotic animals. Wild animals are not domestic animals, and if You are taking their freedom for your own pleasure, that’s evil.

6. If a shark kills a human in the sea, should it be hunted down?
It would be wrong. The human was in shark’s natural habitat, in their territory. And shark is a natural predator, they bite human because their instinct, so it’s not their fault.

7. There are no intelligent animals - except humans. Do you agree?
I don’t completely agree with that statement. Although, I know some animal like dolphin and chimpanzee have intelligence above the average of all faunas. Dolphins have intelligence for problem solving, they squeak in the ocean to call their groups. I am not sure the measurement to compare between humans and faunas, that’s why I cannot say that there are animals that smarter than human.

Speaking recording
Speaking category