The car is possibly the most convenient and popular way of getting from A to B. However, due to its impact on the environment and the risk it poses to pedestrians and motorists, governments should take urgent steps to reduce our dependency on this mode of

The car is possibly the most convenient and popular way of getting from A to B. However, due to its impact on the environment and the risk it poses to pedestrians and motorists, governments should take urgent steps to reduce our dependency on this mode of transport. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

vjtca28's picture

No one can argue that traffic jam becomes one of major concerns in many urban cities. With the high number of car users on roads, city planners claim that traffic problems have led to environmental pollution and safety concern for vulnerable road users such as pedestrians or cyclists. As a result, the hectic traffic should be prioritized by a city in order to ease the negative consequences. Personally, I agree with this idea for a couple reasons.

To begin with, the convenience in our daily lives has led to serious consequences. Since people become more affluent and be able to afford a private car for their conveniences, the number of cars on roads increases dramatically. Traffic congestion then has a great impact on the environment as the quality of air becomes polluted from toxic fumes that release from engines. Even though the introduction of alternative cleaner products such as hybrid cars, lead-free fuel or hydrogen vehicles, it still cannot ease the polluted air in urban areas. Besides that, the incidence of vulnerable road users, who get hurt or fatal injuries by a driver, happens frequently. From safety issue and poor air quality that created from traffic congestion, city-planners need to address and find effective solutions.

However, there are some practical measures that should be taken by the policy planners. Firstly, improving public transportation to be as convenient as travelling by a private car, could be done by a city in order to attract a large number of passengers. Secondly, commuters should be encouraged car-share with neighbors or friends, who make the same journeys. By sharing vehicles, drivers can also save amount of money on gasoline and decrease the number of car trip makers.

In conclusion, the traffic road has negative effects on urban cities and the environment tremendously. Hopefully, with some example practices, these could mitigate the hectic busy road, eventually.