Governments should spend money on railways rather than roads.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Essay topics: Governments should spend money on railways rather than roads.

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

vjtca28's picture

It becomes a controversial topic these days about the effective method of transport systems. The government in many countries does a lot of research in searching which transport systems that should be subsidized heavily. Consequently, some assert that investing on railways is the best way to spend money on rather than prioritizing in roads. Personally, I completely agree with this policy for a couple of reasons.

To begin with, establishing new railways has a significant improvement in traffic problems. With the availability and efficiency of trains, it gravitates the high number of passengers, decreasing private car users, and reducing the congested traffic finally. Unlike building more roads, this policy will increase the car drivers instead.

Secondly, in term of environment concerns, the railways development definitely ease the air pollution in cities as well. Transportation is mainly responsible for global warming because of the high amount of toxic gases released from cars. As a result, introducing new eco-friendly engines such as sky-trains or subways will significantly reduce the amount of carbon emission to the atmosphere and tackle the global warming issue eventually.

Lastly, considering the land issue, building more roads requires a dramatic land. The deforestation and land degradation are negative consequences of this change. Although the construction of railroads requires some space, leading to deforestation as well, the need is still lesser than the space for the road construction.

In conclusion, there are several positive points of developing railroads as it promotes the use of public transport systems and of cause it is an environmentally friendly scheme. In contrast, the road extension leads to land destruction and creates more air pollution. Therefore, the government totally needs to spend the revenue on increasing railroads rather than roads.