Museums and historical sites are mainly visited by tourists, not the local people. Why is this so? What could be done to encourage more local visitors? Please include relevant examples from your own knowledge and experience.

It is true that local people usually do not tend to visit museums or historical sites. There are a variety of possible reasons for this, but some measures can definitely be taken to tackle this problem.

In my opinion, there are several factors why local residents are often reluctant to visit museums or exhibitions. It is related to a psychological factor, meaning that local residents can visit these places whenever that they because they live nearby. There is no reason for them to hesitate to visit the places. These residents have enough time to arrange a schedule for the visit, but they often postpone the plan due to the availability of other sources of entertainment like movies or musical concerts. These people would choose a more entertaining substitute than boring educational contents for their precious time. In my case, I seldom visit museums because I would prefer something provocative and exciting. So, instead of visiting these places, I choose to hang out with my friends for movies or drinks.

However, visiting museums and a range of other educational places is still important to improve people’s basic knowledge about history, science, technology and other aspects of life so that some measures must be taken by governments to encourage local people. Governments should advertise that museums have a collection of interesting objects that people might want to see. Adverting that shows a range of exhibits, from artifact to dinosaur models, not only would draw viewers’ attention, but also attract many local people. Adverts can be put through a variety of media tools such as television, newspapers and display boards in the streets where people see on a regular basis.

In conclusion, the reasons behind the fewer local visitors are due to the flexibility of their time schedule and alternative sources of entertainment. The effective solution to attract these people could be done through advertisements.

whenever that they because they live nearby.
whenever they can because they live nearby.