Nowadays technology is increasingly being used to monitor what people are saying and doing (for example, through cellphone tracking and security cameras). In many cases the people being monitored are unaware that this is happening.Do you think the advant

Swet Ying's picture

With the advancement in technology, people are now able to monitor what people are saying and doing. For instance, with the Global Positioning System (GPS) setting on, parents can track the position of their children to ensure their children reach home safely after school. Sometimes, people are unaware that they are being monitored. It is not surprised when you see a CCTV installed at the side of the road while walking on the street. There are pros and cons on this development which will be discussed further.

First of all, the advantage of monitoring a person using a CCTV can enhance the productivity of a company. It is common to find a CCTV in an office in every corner possible. When a worker knows he or she is being monitored by a CCTV, he or she will do the works within the time period given. The worker will perform better and he or she will not work on personal matters during working hours. The installation of CCTV helps the company to supervise the workers.

Besides, technology helps police and cops to probe the crime cases. Many people tend to install a CCTV at the front gate of their houses to prevent intruders come to their houses. It would be easier for the police to catch the burglar faster if the CCTV able to capture the face of the burglar. Aforementioned, if a CCTV is installed at the side of the road, it will record and capture the car plate number of the car which goes against the law while driving.

On the other hand, the disadvantage of the development is people feel insecure when they are unaware that they are being monitored. There was a case happened recently regarding a boutique store installed a mirror in the fitting room in which the mirror can capture the condition a girl changing clothes. The girl was not aware that she was being monitored in the fitting room until the video was uploaded in social media. This shows the technology is being abused.

Another point worth to mention is that the misuse of the technology can lead to safety problem. When a person turns on the GPS setting in his or her phone, other people can track where he or she is in. This will lead to the person being kidnapped. It is therefore advisable not to turn on the GPS setting as it will expose your location to the strangers.

In conclusion, technology which is developed to be used to monitor people has advantages and disadvantages. We shall not abuse the technology as it will lead people who are being monitored feel not secure wherever he or she is and they feel they do not have privacy.