The only way to reduce the amount of traffic in cities today is by reducing the need for people to travel from home for work, education or shopping. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Essay topics: The only way to reduce the amount of traffic in cities today is by reducing the need for people to travel from home for work, education or shopping. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

lrana32's picture

It is certainly true that today traffic in cities throughout the world has become a major problem. This is obvious from the number of vehicles on the roads and the amount of pollution the cause. Probably the traffic problem in due to individuals travelling for work, study or shopping purposes and this is evident in the rush hours we experience every morning and evening.

It is also true that today, such daily commuting is not always necessary because people can do these things from home. We can see this in the options Information Technology gives us today. For instance, on-line work, distance learning and shopping facilities are all available via the internet.

However, even if everyone had access to the technology and the opportunity to work from home, it is unrealistic to think that everyone would want to. Even though the technology for working, studying or shopping on-line makes this option a possibility, nevertheless, it would mean people had less freedom of choice and less social contact in their lives. This would have a large impact on society as a whole.

So in conclusion, I think that while this practice could reduce the traffic problems in our cities, it is most unlikely to be an acceptable solution in term of other solutions. Perhaps, we need to think more carefully about facilitating public transport and limiting private cars in our city centres. The development of public transport that is not road based, such as sky trains or subways, would probably be a more acceptable alternative measure to reduce jams on the roads.