Popular events like the football World Cup and other international sporting occasions are essential in easing international tensions and releasing patriotic emotions in a safe way.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

Popular events like the football World Cup and other international sporting occasions are essential in easing international tensions and releasing patriotic emotions in a safe way.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

It is believed by some that international events are only a source of income for a country to support its economy. However, in my opinion, mega events like Olympics, cricket & football World Cups help to release international pressures and provoke patriotism in the nation.

Games and sports are good for mental health. Most of the people feel much lighter just by watching games. On broader scale, sports act as a bridge between two nations and help to resolve political issues and tensions. Mega events like World Cup act as catalyst in this process, diverting the attention from national issues to the games. As an example, during the time of General Zia in Pakistan, India was ready to attack Pakistan which was prevented when General Zia visited India to watch a cricket match. Thus, we can conclude that popular events are essential in releasing tensions.

On the other hand, these events act as a tool to unite the nation and trigger patriotic emotions among the individuals in a healthy manner. For instance, it can be seen that during international events, nations gather to buck up their teams and wear the color of their teams along with face paintings to express their patriotism. It can also be seen from football matches when all the supporters wear the kits of their respective teams. So, it is obvious that popular events are essential for the patriotic emotions of a nation.

Following the analyzing of the importance of international events in eliminating tensions and restoring patriotism, it has been proven that mega events are vital for diminishing international pressures and provide a platform to express patriotic emotions. Government officials should encourage such events by ensuring necessary resources for it, which will be beneficial for their nation.