"Telecommuting" refers to workers doing their jobs from home for part of each week and communicating with their office using computer technology. Telecommuting is growing in many countries and is expected to be common for most office workers in the coming

"Telecommuting" refers to workers doing their jobs from home for part of each week and communicating with their office using computer technology. Telecommuting is growing in many countries and is expected to be common for most office workers in the coming decades. How do you think society will be affected by the growth of telecommuting?

A community has its own principle. In Indonesia, some employees still do many meetings directly nowadays, because there are many traditions or ethics that cannot be covered by telecommuting. In Java, this is known as “unggah ungguh”. This means attitude, when young person has to meet directly to the older one, even though he is richer than old man.

This is just the one sample in a million contradictions, because in the fact, telecommuting really changes society in many ways such as, their communication style, in word meaning etc. For example, in my village, many years ago, when my grand mother-father were farmers, they worked only in certain season. So, they had many times in home. They cooked together and did many things together. This is the reason why my mother’s parents have many children. This is different from today, we do not have much time for the smallest community (family). For instance, my mother is poster designer, while my father is office employee that has to go to office every day. Even though my mother stays in house in a whole day, she always sits in front of computer. Sometimes, she talks to my father in a little time. In Sunday, my father still works and finishes his job, then sends his job to his employer by email. My mother also, draws because there are many poster order from consumers. I think, this is the reason why I have no young sister until now. They are lack of romantic because of telecommuting.

Telecommuting makes the far distance become closer, but it makes the heart feeling so farther than before. I think this is called machine phenomenon. This happens when machine controls us, and we lose our control of our self. This will be better if we keep our tradition. For example, my parents, maybe they will have romance moment everyday if my mother stays in tradition, that a wife has to serve the husband. The husband has to protect a warm situation in the family.

Overall, we have to keep our tradition to reduce the influence of telecommuting, because telecommuting really changes the modern family. I hope in the future, people will realize that telecommuting is just the facility to make something easier. So, the growing of telecommuting will help us but not control us.