Essay topics: University students always focus on one specific subject, but some people think that universities should encourage their students to study a wide range of subjects in addition to their own subject. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Tertiary education is seen as the foundation of one's career prospect.However, people display different views regard whethers students should attend one particular subject or vice versa. In my opinion, acquiring knowledge of different fields carries more benefits
On one hand, there is a widely accepted notion that studying one subject enables students to devote themselves to that area and seek to become professionals. This is particularly true in the case of learning subjects such as law, medical and engineering, which require years of theoretical knowledge and training. Since the time constraints, students have to throw themselves into the area of interest rather than taking other subjects. However,such students are more likely to have less career path. For example, psychology students may end up working as a psychologist or a consultant.
On the other hand, common sense tells us that one can acquire more practical skills and knowledge if he/she enrolls a variety of courses, which potentially enhance student's employability. This is especially true in this day and age. Companies opt to recruit employees with multi-skills and a wide range of academic knowledge. For instance, if an accounting student is familiar with marketing and human resource management, perhaps he/she would be able to present more strategically advices in terms of company operation. In addition, students who exposed to different subjects are easier to find where their passion is located. Especially for first year students, attending other subjects allows them to reconsider their goals and choose the correct pathway towards their future studies.
In conclusion, although the advantage of focusing on one field of studying is evident, I am of the opinion that students benefit more from learning broadly.
- Memorization of information by frequent repetition (rote learning) plays a role in most education systems. Do the advantages of this method of learning outweigh its disadvantages? (80)
- Some countries achieve international success by building specialized sports facilities for top athletes to train instead of providing sports facilities that everyone can use. Do you think it is a positive or negative development? (93.33329999999999)
- Families who send their children to private schools should not be required to pay taxes that support the state education system. To what extent do you agree or disagree? (60)
- The graph and table below give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries. (82.5)
- Some people believe that children are given too much free time. They feel that this time should be used to do more school work.How do you think education shoudl spend their free time? (85)
- uccessful sports professionals can earn a great deal more money than people in other important professions. Some people think this is fully justified while others think it is unfair. Discuss both these views and give your opinion. (85)
- The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030 (70)
- Some people think that the teenage years are the happiest time of most people lives. Others think that adult life brings more happiness, in spite of greater responsibilities. （important) (51.25)
- With the increasing demand for energy sources of oil and gas, people should look for sources of oil and gas in remote and untouched places. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of damaging such areas? (73.33329999999999)
- Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? (66.66670000000001)