Home >> Ielts Writing Task Ii Ielts Academic Essays

Governments should spend money on railways rather than roads.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Malita's picture

Roads and Railways are important modes of communications used by human beings in their daily life. Railways are used by more number of people to travel both longer and shorter distance, and it has many advantages which I will be explaining in the paragraphs below. I agree that government should spend more money on railways rather than roads.

Firstly, railways are fastest means of transportation as there it avoids traffic people can reach their destination more quickly, they can travel long distance while they are lying down as there are facilities to stretch legs while travelling. At every station people come to sell snacks, tea and food due to which travellers feel very comfortable as they get everything they need while they are sitting in one place.

Secondly, it is safer to travel by train as there are no other vehicles, and also comfortable unlike roads which have large number of holes. Travelling by train helps in socialization as you meet new people everyday and make friendship with them, a sense of brotherhood is encouraged. There are toilets and basins present in train which is an essential necessity especially for elders, children and pregnant women.

There are people, on the other hand who feel government should spend money on roads because most of them use private vehicles to travel and if roads are repaired they can drive smoothly and good roads help in reduction of traffic and accidents. I however feel improvement in railways will encourage people to use public vehicle and reduce number of private vehicles on road.

To sum up with, railways are of prime importance to all age groups and hence government should make effort to improve the railway system in order to attract more passengers.