A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position

A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position.

Academics have different opinion regarding curriculum for school children and this debate has not been settled yet. Some educationist advice to implement the one set of courses for all school children while other believe that autonomy should be given to state boards to devise their primary & secondary education curriculum. I support this autonomy for various reasons which I shall explain in this essay.

People who believe in national curriculum have some valid points. Firstly, by implementing the one set of course, every child will get same kind of educational exposure which will reduce the problems cropping up owing to different standards followed by state boards. For example, my sister studied in central board and has wider knowledge in contrast to my younger brother who completed his schooling from state board. Even some of the education institutions prefer students from particular board such and given extra weight-age during admission process. Secondly, considering children having same level of education, higher education course can be planned accordingly. Generally, it is seen that kids from state board when goes to other states, they face lot of issues related to past education and go through tremendous stress which can be removed through this national curriculum up-to some extent.

However, there are various advantages of having different education trends in school. First of all, in big countries like India, every state has different culture and state government or bodies set the education contents based on the local culture, history and other factors. It is ensured that students must know about their identity, culture etc. and should be passed to next generation through course curriculum. For instance, India’s national language is Hindi but southern states rarely use Hindi as communication medium and keep national language as an optional language. Moreover, every province has different set of problem to be dealt which can be overlooked if one course agent is implemented nationwide.

In the conclusion, school curriculum should be chosen based on the local preference as this process makes sure that local culture and identity is not sidelined. Nevertheless, set of contents can be standardized in order to avoid the large deviation in exposure.