Another month without a successful people smuggling venture

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 02/28/2014 - 03:01

Friday, 28 February 2014

The latest weekly update for Operation Sovereign Borders reveals that for the second consecutive month, no successful people smuggling venture has arrived in Australia, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison said today.

Operation Sovereign Borders is continuing to prevent people smugglers from fulfilling their promise, with two consecutive months without a successful people smuggling venture to Australia.

The last people smuggling venture that made it to Australia and had all passengers handed over to Australian immigration authorities was on December 19 last year. This means there have been 71 days in total without a successful people smuggling venture.

The government's full suite of policies, including most significantly maritime operations under Operation Sovereign Borders, is having the impact on the success seen now over two consecutive months.

The Coalition in government has available to it the same personnel the previous Labor Government had to implement border protection policy. The same challenges the previous government faced to prevent people smuggling ventures reaching Australia are what the Coalition Government now face. What has changed are the policies and resolve of the government.

The Coalition Government's policies are being implemented under Operation Sovereign Borders and the boats are stopping.

Rather than support the government's efforts in implementing these policies, Labor has chosen to sledge and undermine.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm212207.htm
Last update: Friday, 28 February 2014 at 17:34 AEST