News Release — Minister Kenney Announces Citizenship Judge Appointment for the Montreal Area

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 05/01/2013 - 17:00

Ottawa, May 1, 2013 — Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney announced today the appointment of Farid Osmane as a full-time citizenship judge for the Montreal area.

Prior to his appointment, Farid Osmane served as a member of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, presiding over quasi-judicial hearings, adjudicating refugee matters and evaluating permanent residence requests for the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Farid Osmane studied law and management, and has taught ethics and client representation at LaSalle College in Montreal since 2007. Originally from Algeria, Mr. Osmane pursued graduate studies in the United States of America before moving to Canada.

Citizenship judges are responsible for making decisions on citizenship applications, presiding over citizenship ceremonies and administering the oath of citizenship to new citizens.

Citizenship judges are appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism. New appointees are chosen from a list of qualified candidates who have gone through rigorous screening, including a written exam, reference check and oral interview. Candidates for citizenship judge appointments are evaluated against the skills required by the position: information-seeking, judgment/analytical thinking, decision-making, effective communication, cross-cultural sensitivity, leadership, self-confidence, self-control and writing ability.

Follow us on Twitter (new window to unfollow or login):

twitter.com/CitImmCanada

Photos of Minister Kenney are available.

For further information (media only), please contact:

Alexis Pavlich

Minister’s Office

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

613-954-1064

Media Relations

Communications Branch

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

613-952-1650
CIC-Media-Relations@cic.gc.ca

Building a stronger Canada: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) strengthens Canada’s economic, social and cultural prosperity, helping ensure Canadian safety and security while managing one of the largest and most generous immigration programs in the world.