News Release — Providing More Options for Citizenship Applicants from Ontario

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 02/05/2014 - 20:33

Ontario Language Training Certificates Now Accepted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Ottawa, January 29, 2014 — As of January 30, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will accept certificates from individuals who complete Ontario’s provincial language training program as proof of language ability for the purpose of applying for citizenship, Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander announced today. The acceptance of this language training program will facilitate access to citizenship for Ontario applicants.

Applicants for citizenship must provide evidence of language ability from CIC’s list of acceptable evidence, which includes results from third party tests, academic certificates, and certificates from government-funded language training programs. Ontario’s provincial Adult Non-Credit Language Training Program will now be accepted as proof that citizenship applicants meet language knowledge requirements.

Quick facts:

• Since the Canadian Citizenship Act of 1947, adult citizenship applicants have had to demonstrate an adequate knowledge of English or French in order to be eligible for citizenship.
  • The ability to speak English or French is a key determinant in how well a newcomer will succeed, integrate into his or her community and find employment.
  • Canadian Language Benchmarks / Niveau de compétence linguistique canadiens (CLB/NCLC) are the nationally recognized benchmarks to measure proficiency of adult immigrants in both official languages
  • The level required is CLB 4 in speaking and listening skills. Â

Quote:

Becoming a Canadian citizen comes with certain rights and responsibilities and a readiness to participate in Canadian society. Our government believes that the key to successful integration is the knowledge of an official language. We are proud to add Ontario language training certificates to our list of accepted evidence, which will now provide Ontario applicants with another option to demonstrate that they meet the language requirement for Canadian citizenship.

– Chris Alexander, Canada’s Minister of Citizenship and Immigration

Associated Links:

Backgrounder

Follow us on Twitter (new window to unfollow or login):

twitter.com/CitImmCanada

For further information (media only), please contact:

Alexandra Fortier

Minister’s Office – Minister Kenney

819-994-2482

Alexis Pavlich

Minister’s Office

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

613-954-1064

Media Relations

Communications Branch

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

613-952-1650
CIC-Media-Relations@cic.gc.ca

Building a stronger Canada: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) strengthens Canada’s economic, social and cultural prosperity, helping ensure Canadian safety and security while managing one of the largest and most generous immigration programs in the world.

Article references
www.cic.gc.ca