Integrated task- Problem solving

Integrated task- Problem solving

The reading explains that problem solving is a four-step process. It beginnings with the problem identification, then followed by finding alternative solutions, selecting an strategy, and finally by action. The steps can be repeatedly done until an effective solution solves the problem. The professor discusses the role of break in the problem solving procedure.

First of all, she indicates that a break may help the brain to deliberately analyze the problem. It can be considered as an incubation period. She illustrated her point by telling the story of a chemist who dreamed about the snake and found out that the chemical structure of Benzene will be spiral. This is in agreement with the passage that says functional fixedness will hinder the brain to abandon the preconceived ideas about the problem.

Second, the professor relates the break to the possibility of receiving new information. Therefore, in a break period that the brain is not forced to focus on the problem, a piece of information will be incidentally noticed, which will lead to taking a new strategy. The passage also highlights that people has a tendency to stick to a mental set. Thus, they cannot see alternative solutions.

Finally, she asserts that break may interfere with an inflexible pattern of thinking. This is in agreement with the passage that says when a certain strategy does not answer properly, it is time to opt a new method or go through the four steps again until the problem is solved.

Sentence: It beginnings with the problem identification, then followed by finding alternative solutions, selecting an strategy, and finally by action.
Description: A pronoun, personal, nominative, 3rd person singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to It and beginnings

that people has a tendency
that people have a tendency