One of the latest resources found on the internet is the communal online encyclopedia. These encyclopedias are, in many ways, like the traditional printed encyclopedias containing collections of articles on various subjects. The unique feature of the onli

One of the latest resources found on the internet is the communal online encyclopedia. These encyclopedias are, in many ways, like the traditional printed encyclopedias containing collections of articles on various subjects. The unique feature of the online encyclopedias is that any internet user can add a new article or make an editorial change to an existing one. This results in an encyclopedia authored by the entire internet community. While this sounds like a good idea, communal encyclopedias have several important issues that make them less reliable than the traditional printed encyclopedia.

First, the contributors from the online community often lack academic credentials resulting in partially informed or inaccurate information. Traditional encyclopedias are written by trained experts following a rigorous academic standard not achieved by non-specialists.

Second, the communal nature of these online encyclopedias provide the opportunity for dishonest individuals to fabricate, delete, and corrupt information in the encyclopedia. After the changes are made it is impossible to tell the entry was tampered with. This isn't possible with traditional encyclopedias.

Finally the communal encyclopedias focus more frequently on popular topics giving them the appearance of equal importance to an important historical event. This can give someone like a child doing a research project for school the misconception of how important a topic truly is. In a traditional encyclopedia there is a considered view of what topics should be included or excluded and a sense of proportion not found in communal encyclopedias.

The reading explains that the communal encyclopedias have several issues that make them less reliable than the traditional printed encyclopedias and provides three reasons of support. However, the professor explains that communal encyclopedias will never be perfect but it cost the reader so little comparing to the printed ones and refutes each of the Author's reasons.

First, the article claims that the contributors from the online community often lack academic credentials results in inaccurate information. The professor opposes this point by saying that the article criticism is not fair, the regular encyclopedias have errors too. He adds that the different is the online one could be corrected easily while the regular encyclopedias would take years to replace the errors.

Second, the reading posits that the communal nature make it easy for the dishonest individual to put wrong information or addition. On the other hand, the lecture says that online encyclopedias protected from hackers. The professor says that it needed many steps to be done to add or put information in online encyclopedias. Also, he adds that they hire staff of editors to see and correct the wrong information all the time.

Third, the reading asserts that the communal encyclopedias concentrate more on popular topics and gave them the same importance of the historical events. The professor contends that there are no limited space in online encyclopedias as it is in the regular one. He adds that in the regular encyclopedias only selected articles would be added for the limited space. While, in the communal encyclopedias the space not an issue, and academic subjects still deliver. According to the professor that's a large advantage for online encyclopedias.

the contributors from the online community often lack academic credentials results in inaccurate information.
the contributors from the online community often lack academic credentials which results in inaccurate information.

the different is the online one could be corrected easily
the difference is that the online one could be corrected easily

the communal nature make it easy
the communal nature makes it easy

online encyclopedias protected from hackers.
online encyclopedias are protected from hackers.

in the communal encyclopedias the space not an issue,
in the communal encyclopedias the space is not an issue,