Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they oppose specific points made in the passage.

The main idea of the passage and the talk is about the purchasing fossils. The author claims that a great deal of important fossils are now selling to private ownership and it is very bad news for people and scientists. The professor agrees with the author's view but states that it has been exaggerated. She also asserts that the advantages of selling fossils substantially outweigh the demerits of it.

First, both the passage and the lecture discuss the exhibition of fossils. According to the passage, the fossils are in the collections of private collectors rather than in the museum where people can see them. However, the lecturer denies it through citing that even ordinary institutions can buy these fossils routinely and they display their collections. Therefore, people can easily see the fossils in the regular exhibitions.

Second, the author and lecturer both discuss the access of scientists to the fossils. The passage goes on to mention that due to the fact that the fossils are in the collections of rich fossil buyers, scientists cannot work on them. Nevertheless, the speaker refutes it saying that, only the scientists can recognize the fossils and as a result the wealthy collectors are scientists and they work on them sufficiently.

Eventually, the reading and the lecture discuss the preservation of the fossils. The author mentions that private owners do not preserve adequately the fossils and usually destroy them. In the contrast, the professor completely cast doubt on it and describes that the owners make an effort to discover new fossils, and the damages, if any, caused by them in their operations are not much important in comparison to their achievements.

and it is very bad news
and it is a very bad news