TPO 9 q1

TPO 9 q1

In this set of materials, the reading claims that the internal-combustion engines should be replaced by fuel-cell engines and provides three reasons of support. While, in the lecture, the professor casts doubt on what is presented in the text and rejects each of the author's reasons.

First of all, it is clearly stated in the text that the source of petroleum is limited and we should change our source of energy to hydrogen. However, the professor opposes this point by explaining this fact that the hydrogen can not be considered as the right solution since it can not be produced easily. As a matter of fact, it should be converted to the liquid form in order to be used as a fuel and this conversion includes very difficult processes. Furthermore, the liquid form of hydrogen is very cold, so it need cooling system to be stored in the cars. Therefore, it is not an easy to use fuel.

In addition, the professor rejects this point of the reading that using hydrogen based engines lead to less amount of pollution. She asserts that producing hydrogen is required a large amount of energy which should be provided by burning fossil fuels like petroleum. Therefore, the factories which are manufactured hydrogen contaminate our environment instead of cars, but there is still pollution.

Finally, although in the text it is mentioned that fuel-cell engines are more economical due to their high efficiency, the professor refutes this view. She declares that the materials which are used in manufacturing of cell-fuel engines are very expensive. Also, the researchers do not find any cheaper material to decrease manufacturing cost. Therefore, as she explained, the people need to pay more for using this kind of cars.

so it need cooling system
so it needs cooling system

using hydrogen based engines lead to less amount of pollution
using hydrogen based engines leads to less amount of pollution