TPO15 integrated

TPO15-integrated

In this set of materials, the article and the lecture discuss about the ways to stop the growth of the cane toad, an amphibian species that introduced to Australia in order to control some insect and help to the farmer's crops. The reading passage holds forth three ways to hinder the growth of toad cane's populations, while, in the lecture, professor rejects all three reasons outlined in the reading passage.

First, according to the article, one way is to build a national fence to keep toads from entering Australia. However, the professor convert this way by explaining that it is an unsuccessful way. The toad's eggs and young populations are located in the stream and can easily flow to the other part of steam where there is no fence in. In addition, few toads can finally find the way through the fence and establish their population beyond the fence.

Second, in the reading, another way is to capture the toads by the help of the volunteers. Nevertheless, the professor refutes this way by talking that it isn't an easy work as untrained volunteers might destroy Australia's native frogs. Since it is not mostly possible to separate the frogs from the toads, especially the younger ones, the way is ineffective.

Finally, in the text, developing disease-causing virus is another way to block the toad's population of spreading. While in the lecture, the professor states that the virus released in Australia can find its way to America. As the virus can easily transmitted by reptiles or pets of researchers into America and make a great damage to America's ecology. So, since the toads are vital part of America's native environments, the way might be a big risk for America.

species that introduced to Australia in order to control some insects
species that are introduced to Australia in order to control some insects
species introduced to Australia in order to control some insects

As the virus can easily transmitted by reptiles
As the virus can be easily transmitted by reptiles