Class in Britain and America

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Class in Britain and America

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) for each of the following questions.
(1) What is Harry's nationality?

a. British. b. English. c. American.
(2) What can be used to tell people's social status in England? a. Their clothes. b. Their accent. c. Their job.
(3) What surprised and amused Harry in Lincolnshire? a. The muddy fields. b. The large number of people. c. People who went there drove the car of the same brand and spoke in the same way.
(4) Why was Barrie staggered living in a cottage tied to a farm? a. The groom next door did not like him. b. He felt uneasy living there. c. People in the community did not know how to treat him because they did not know which class he belonged to.
(5) What does Harry think of the middle class in Britain? a. The most snobbish. b. Totally uninhibited. c. Very extraordinary.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
According to Harry, class distinctions have not changed much in the last forty or fifty years.
(2)
People's accent is not enough to tell their social position in the U.S.
(3)
In the country, there was a paternalistic relationship between those farmhands and their masters.
(4)
The middle-class people in Britain are not aware of the whole system.
(5)
Equality of opportunity is a nice ideal to have.

3. Fill in the blanks with what you hear on the tape.
(1) In England they seem to really
. There I was
Lincolnshire and we went through
and suddenly we
this parking lot with
in it.
(2) I think you raised
there, Barrie, because you're
talking about yourself not fitting into
.
(3) I mean
are what I find
— they seem to be
for the most part ... I'm not passing any
on them.

Listening answers

Class in Britain and America

(1) What is Harry's nationality?

a. British. b. English. c. American.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)

(1) In England they seem to really
. There I was
Lincolnshire and we went through
and suddenly we
this parking lot with
in it.
(2) I think you raised
there, Barrie, because you're
talking about yourself not fitting into
.
(3) I mean
are what I find
— they seem to be
on them.