News Item 3

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News Item 3:

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) ____________ Larry Speakes called the Soviet expulsion of American diplomats an unjustified action.

a. Senate spokesman b. Congress spokesman c. White House spokesman d. State Department spokesman
(2) The Soviet expulsion of American diplomats will, according to Charles Redman, ___________. a. help improve the relations between the United States and the Soviet Union b. break up the US-Soviet relations c. bring harmful effects on the US-Soviet relations d. lead to war between the United States and the Soviet Union
(3) The United States has expelled ___________ Soviet diplomats in the _____________. a. twenty-four; UN b. twenty-five; USA c. twenty-four; USA d. twenty-five; UN
(4) The United States has already made its views of the expulsion clear to _____________. a. the UN Security Council b. Soviet officials in Moscow c. the Soviet Ambassador to the United States d. Mikhail Gorbachev

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
The United States has planned to reduce the Soviet UN staff within the next three years.
(2)
Today US officials denied that the five Americans were intelligence officers.
(3)
When the US officials said that the five Americans had done nothing improper, they meant that these people were not intelligence officers.
(4)
One US official said that though the Soviet action was illegitimate, the United States should not take the trouble to fight back.

Listening answers

News Item 3:

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)