Special Report

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

Special Report

1. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) ____________ always ask and answer questions like, "What is matter, or time, or cause and effect?"

a. Philosophers and economists b. Philosophers and scientists c. Scientists and psychologists d. Scientists and Buddhists
(2) Over the weekend, a Nature of Reality Conference was held at _____________. a. University of California at Berkeley b. the Elmwood Institute at Berkeley c. Colorado State University d. State University on New York
(3) At the conference issues under discussion included _____________. a. Einstein's theory of relativity b. quantum theory and relativity c. the new physics and discoveries in atomic science d. quantum theory, relativity and the new physics, discoveries in atomic science
(4) Fritchoff Kapra was ____________ at the conference. a. a speaker b. chairman c. an organizer d. a reporter
(5) Kapra's book, The Tao of Physics, linked _______________. a. the theory of relativity with ancient eastern philosophies b. the findings of modern science with ancient western philosophies c. the theory of gravity with eastern philosophies d. the findings of modern science with ancient eastern philosophies

2. Fill in the blanks so as to provide an outline for Kapra's talk.
(1) The new world view is emerging not only in
, but also in other sciences, in
, in
, in the
sciences.
  a. Its time of emergence: in the
years
  b. Its source of emergence:
  c. Example One:
    In physics, an electron now is not considered as an
. It cannot be said to exist even in
at
. It's sort of
.
  d. Example Two:
    In medicine, the human body used to be viewed as
in conventional western medicine, in fact, as
. And when
doesn't function, you look for
and replace that part by
which includes
or
. The new kind of view sees the human organism as
which has
,
, but also
and which is imbedded in
and in
.
(2) Examples of the new world view:
  a. The central development in quantum theory was
.
  b. A very dramatic development was Einstein's discovery that
.
(3) Public response to the new world view is utter fascination, and the reason for this kind of response is that people are
by
between
, between
, between
.

Listening answers

Special Report

, but also in other sciences, in
, in
, in the
sciences.
  a. Its time of emergence: in the
years
  b. Its source of emergence:
  c. Example One:
. It cannot be said to exist even in
at
. It's sort of
.
  d. Example Two:
. And when
doesn't function, you look for
and replace that part by
which includes
or
which has
,
, but also
and which is imbedded in
and in
.
(2) Examples of the new world view:
.
.
by
between
, between
, between
.