Cambridge-Based Company Makes SAT Tutoring Affordable

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 06/27/2013 - 11:00

Thu, Jun 27, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT - U.S. Markets close in 6 hrs.

CAMBRIDGE, MA--(Marketwired - June 27, 2013) -   With students receiving their June SAT test results, Testive announced the launch of its private SAT tutoring service, offering three months of one-on-one tutoring for $899. The Cambridge-based startup has combined private tutoring with technology to allow students and partner companies to experience the benefits of high-quality, one-on-one instruction at less than half the cost of traditional tutoring.

Testive launched the service after the average student in the pilot program saw a 120 increase in his or her SAT score over eight weeks.

"Historically, studying for the SAT has been frustrating, time-consuming and expensive," said Tom Rose, Testive's Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer. "Classes force people to sit through things they already know. Private tutors are expensive and inconvenient. Self-studying is low cost, but few students have the discipline to stick with it. As tutor, I would charge over $200 per hour and only be able to work with the wealthiest of students. At Testive, we've built technology that gives the highest-quality tutors the opportunity focus on the part of teaching they love: working with students who need their help."  

Testive's SAT Prep Solution, which is available directly through the company and select partners, eliminates many of the costs that drive up the price of high-end tutoring. By meeting with students through online video chat, Testive avoids paying for travel time or expensive office space. Testive allows tutors to have more frequent, more focused meetings with students and increase students' scores faster than tutoring without Testive's technology.

Testive's online tools generate customized assignments to target students' individual weak areas and track their progress toward their goals. Using these same tools, tutors can check in with students more frequently and know before a meeting exactly what issues the student needs to work on. 

"I had a tutor before, but this worked better for me. I didn't have to schedule a two-hour meeting with a tutor. I could split it up and work on my own time. It was really convenient," said Zach Awtry, a senior at Hingham High School.

Norma Greenberg, former Guidance Department Head at Wayland High School and a college counselor with Campus Bound, a Testive Partner, said, "I've been a guidance counselor for nearly four decades. The level of score improvement I've seen with Testive is unprecedented."

To learn more about Testive or register for upcoming SAT Programs, visit: http://www.Testive.com.

About Testive, Inc.Testive develops the world's most advanced blended learning solutions for test preparation. Over 30,000 students have used its test preparation and score prediction tools to help them optimize test scores. Developed at MIT, Testive delivers highly customized testing and test-prep experiences that pair with great teachers to deliver outstanding student results. Based in Cambridge, MA and Durham, NC, Testive is an alumnus of the TechStars Boston start-up accelerator program. For more information, visit: http://www.testive.com or follow the company on Twitter @Testive.

Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE, and NYSEAmex when available. See also delay times for other exchanges. Quotes and other information supplied by independent providers identified on the Yahoo! Finance partner page. Quotes are updated automatically, but will be turned off after 25 minutes of inactivity. Quotes are delayed at least 15 minutes. All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Neither Yahoo! nor any of independent providers is liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. By accessing the Yahoo! site, you agree not to redistribute the information found therein.

Fundamental company data provided by Capital IQ. Historical chart data and daily updates provided by Commodity Systems, Inc. (CSI). International historical chart data and daily updates provided by Morningstar, Inc.

Yahoo! - ABC News Network

Article references
finance.yahoo.com