The First SAT Tested Students Using a Fake Language

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 04/17/2013 - 11:00

Wed, Apr 17, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT - U.S. Markets close in 6 hrs.

[optional image description]

It was a big year, 1926. Robert Goddard launched the first rocket. Pontiac cars were introduced by General Motors. Winnie-the-Pooh was published. And for the first time, if you wanted to go to college, you had to take a test in order to be considered for admission.

Yep, the Scholastic Aptitude Test: the bain of high school students for 87 years and counting.

The old-timey SAT was only sort of similar to the behemoth we know today. It gave students both multiple-choice and fill-in-the-blank questions. It was first administered to 8,040 candidates -- 60 percent (hey, only 60 percent!) of whom were male. It consisted of 315 questions, which students had 97 minutes to answer. 

And while today's SAT has three core sections (Critical Reading, Math, and Writing), the SAT of 1926 had nine sub-tests, seven devoted to verbal skills and two devoted to math: Word Definitions, Arithmetical Problems, Word Classification, Antonyms, Number Series, Analogies, Logical Inference, Paragraph Reading, and Artificial Language.

Wait, what? Artificial Language? This section was, it turns out, fantastically literal. The writers of that first SAT actually constructed a fake language for test-takers to translate. The trial tongue is unnamed, alas, yet distinctly Esperanto-esque. 

Here are the language's grammar rules, via Smithsonian Magazine, from the 1926 version of the test:

As for the test questions based on those rules, they may be, sadly, lost to history. (The page above, along with a few others, was all the College Board could provide of its ur-SAT.) Still, the College Board's faux-netic language is a testament to how drastically educational priorities can change over time. In a world that increasingly emphasizes students' technical abilities, we take it for granted that math and verbal skills -- reasoning and communication -- should share the stage with each other. 1926, though, was a different time, with different educational goals.

Which didn't mean that the whole made-up language thing wasn't a little bit weird, even in 1926. Brian O'Reilly, a 31-year veteran of the College Board, told Smithsonian Magazine that the SAT's Artificial Language section was similar to a test he had to take when applying for the Peace Corps in 1967. And that kind of translational testing made sense for a program that would likely require participants to quickly learn new languages. On the SAT, though? There, O'Reilly said, "it is hard to know what the purpose of this was."

Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE, and NYSEAmex when available. See also delay times for other exchanges. Quotes and other information supplied by independent providers identified on the Yahoo! Finance partner page. Quotes are updated automatically, but will be turned off after 25 minutes of inactivity. Quotes are delayed at least 15 minutes. All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Neither Yahoo! nor any of independent providers is liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. By accessing the Yahoo! site, you agree not to redistribute the information found therein.

Fundamental company data provided by Capital IQ. Historical chart data and daily updates provided by Commodity Systems, Inc. (CSI). International historical chart data and daily updates provided by Morningstar, Inc.

Yahoo! - ABC News Network

Article references
finance.yahoo.com