Student Raises SAT Score by 310 Points After Using Mobile App

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 02/05/2014 - 16:04

Palo Alto, CA (PRWEB) November 25, 2013

According to the 2013 SAT Report on College & Career Readiness, only 43% of SAT takers received scores that qualified them as “college-ready”, a number that has remained stagnant for the last five years. As a response to College Board’s call to action, Palo Alto-based startup, Gen4Web, seeks to offset record-low SAT scores by providing students a new way to prepare for the standardized test, without spending vast sums for prep courses - The SAT Virtual Smart Book (VSB).

Gen4Web released The SAT VSB in early September through the learning resource site, Eric’s High School Experience, so students can register and download the app for free. The SAT VSB provides practice tests based on The Official SAT Study Guide by the College Board, and tracks a student’s performance by keeping a list of incorrect responses, providing the correct solutions for each item, and notifying parents via email every time their child takes the practice test so they can watch their progress over time.

A senior high school student from California registered at ericshs.com as soon as the SAT VSB was available for download. The student practiced with the SAT VSB for two hours a day over a three-week period. The student completed 7 of the 10 practice tests, focusing first on the Math and then on the Reading and Writing portion of the SAT VSB.

As the recently released November SAT results revealed, the combination of student diligence and study with the SAT VSB has proven to be a route to success as the student was able to raise his SAT score from 2,000 to 2,310 points, almost reaching the perfect score of 2,400.

Dr. Paul Lim, Gen4Web team lead and Lecturer and Senior Researcher at Stanford University’s Department of Electrical Engineering explains that while the college admission process is not based on the SAT scores alone, it is still important to prepare for the SAT so students have the opportunity to demonstrate their college–preparedness. “Effective SAT preparation is essential for a good score, and engaging with the right study tool is the key to SAT success”, Lim says.

Concerned about the current state of SAT scores, and the future of U.S education, Eric Manalac, Gen4Web co-founder and Chief Technology Officer, realized the need for a stronger study tool. “The SAT VSB was developed to allow students to optimize their study time and track their own progress. Students will find it easy to study, and their parents will also love the results." Manalac says.

Students can download the SAT Virtual Smart Book on iOS and Android devices, and as a PC or MAC download through Eric's High School Experience. Visit http://www.ericshs.com now and download the SAT Virtual Smart Book!

Article references
www.prweb.com