Success On The GED Test Now Just Clicks Away In California

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/11/2013 - 16:00

Thu, Apr 11, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT - U.S. Markets close in 1 hr.

SACRAMENTO, Calif., April 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In striving to offer more adults without a high school diploma an opportunity to obtain a high school credential, as well as basic technology skills, California recently partnered with GED Testing Service to offer the GED test on computer. Online registration, scheduling and testing is now available to test-takers.

(Logo:  http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120322/PH74825LOGO )

"The GED test on computer provides a more flexible and efficient testing experience for adult learners who often need to move very quickly into jobs or training programs," said Randy Trask, president of GED Testing Service. "Over the past year we've found that adults who test on computer score higher and finish the exam faster, and we're excited that this offering is now available across California."

California joins 41 states that have begun offering the GED test on computer since early 2012. Adult learners across the country have taken advantage of the new benefits, such as online scheduling and registration, instant unofficial score reports, and increased testing flexibility. More than 40,000 computerized GED tests were given in 2012 and yielded significantly positive results for test-takers. Specifically, GED Testing Service found that:

In addition to the new benefits for adult learners, many Californians will pay less for the computerized exam. In some locations, fees will be reduced by more than $100 because paper-and-pencil testing fees can soar to $250.

"We're no longer tied to scheduling tests once or twice a month. Students will be able to book tests whenever they want," said Steve Thompson, assistant principal at Ventura Adult & Continuing Education, which was the first testing center in the state to deliver the GED test on computer.  "Everything's becoming more and more computer-based and there are people who are actually not comfortable with pen-and-paper tests anymore."

The launch also allows adults in California to take advantage of a new GED Testing Service offer. Through May 31, 2013, adults in California who choose to begin their GED test on computer will receive one free retake if they fail a test. To view full details of the new offer visit, GEDtestingservice.com/secondshot.

"I thought it was easier, faster and better than taking the test on paper," said Alexa Shar-Wiley, who was one the first computerized GED test-takers in California. "I would highly recommend it to other test-takers."

GED testing on computer is available at the following locations:

Computerized GED testing is expected to quickly expand across the state in the coming months.

The English- and Spanish-language GED test on computer is the same test currently offered on paper and pencil. Whether a candidate takes the test on paper or computer, it must be taken in person at an official GED testing center. The GED test is never offered online. States currently offering the GED test on computer are preparing for the new 2014 GED test, which will only be available on computer.

For adults interested in taking or learning more about the GED test on computer please visit, www.GEDcomputer.com.

About GED Testing Service

The GED test has opened doors to better jobs and college programs for more than 18 million graduates since 1942. Last year nearly 800,000 adults sat for the GED test, which is accepted by virtually all U.S. colleges and employers. As the creator of the one official GED test, GED Testing Service has a responsibility to ensure that the program continues to be a reliable and valuable pathway to a better life for the millions of adults without a high school diploma.

Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE, and NYSEAmex when available. See also delay times for other exchanges. Quotes and other information supplied by independent providers identified on the Yahoo! Finance partner page. Quotes are updated automatically, but will be turned off after 25 minutes of inactivity. Quotes are delayed at least 15 minutes. All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Neither Yahoo! nor any of independent providers is liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. By accessing the Yahoo! site, you agree not to redistribute the information found therein.

Fundamental company data provided by Capital IQ. Historical chart data and daily updates provided by Commodity Systems, Inc. (CSI). International historical chart data and daily updates provided by Morningstar, Inc.

Yahoo! - ABC News Network

Article references
finance.yahoo.com